Solving Circuit Diagram Homework - Test Prep Tips

In summary, We can solve this problem by applying Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) around the loop containing the 30V source and 12V component. KVL states that the sum of voltages around a closed loop is equal to zero. By assigning polarities to the voltage functions and applying the law, we can solve for the voltage across the dependent source, which is found to be 18V. This problem demonstrates the use of models and abstractions in circuit analysis.
TheRealBillNye

Homework Statement

Screenshot from 2017-09-13 23-49-34.png

3aJoIUic2Y1P
[/B]
3aJoIUic2Y1P

A screenshot with everything given

Homework Equations

No idea

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea

I'm not sure how to solve this or where to look for a solution. I was given this yesterday and have a test tomorrow. The professor has not gone over this at anytime, it's only the second week. Anything helpful would be great, even just what I need to google so I can attempt to solve this.

P.S. I do not know the solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this site. http://hades.mech.northwestern.edu/index.php/Kirchhoff's_Current_and_Voltage_Laws
Or Google/Wikipedia on Kirchhoff's Laws.

The sum of voltages around any given loop equals zero. So if you go from - to + in an element, you add voltage. If you go from + to - in an element, you subtract the voltage. The diamond shaped source is a dependent voltage (it is 5 multiplied by the value of I0).You might want to take a look at the Navy's NEETS modules, for electricity and electronics. The US Navy has published these and made them available to the general public. Davidson College hosts all 24 PDF's here: http://www.phy.davidson.edu/instrumentation/NEETS.htm

Likes cnh1995
@TheRealBillNye, your own attempt at a solution is required as per forum rules.
scottdave said:
The sum of voltages around any given loop equals zero. So if you go from - to + in an element, you add voltage. If you go from + to - in an element, you subtract the voltage
This much information is sufficient for solving this problem.

Likes scottdave
Thanks for the help, would someone mind checking this for me as I don't know the answer.
2017-09-14 09.51.26.jpg

TheRealBillNye said:
Thanks for the help, would someone mind checking this for me as I don't know the answer.
View attachment 211097
That's not correct. Which current is I1?

How about you just consider the lefmost loop containing the 30V source? Apply KVL in that loop only.

Likes CWatters and scottdave
What is this 18 volts across I1 ? Try a loop around the lower left-hand square of circuitry.

Likes CWatters
If you draw the schematic in this way you may calculate ia and ib as function of Vo and then Vo=18 V.
[5Io=5*2=10V]
upload_2017-9-20_12-3-54.png

Babadag said:
If you draw the schematic in this way you may calculate ia and ib as function of Vo and then Vo=18 V.

It's easier than that. No need to calculate ib at all. Just apply KVL to the left hand loop.

Likes Babadag and cnh1995
Hi.

It is a very easy question..One needs to apply KVL around the loop with the 30 V source and 12 V component.

KVL simply states that the sum of voltages around a closed loop is equal to zero. Equivalently, sum of voltage drops is equal to sum of voltage rises around the loop.

As a side note, please know that any device in circuit analysis is a model. Two terminal devices are models/abstractions, for which the:

1. Current entering any terminal is defined.
2. Voltage function between the positive and negative terminal can be defined.

We arrive at these models through the lumped circuit abstraction, please google it if you would like to know more. Anant Agarwals lectures on MIT Opencourseware nicely cover it. This is if you want a good introduction to circuit analysis and basic electronics:

So, you have the voltage functions for two devices, you know KVL, you simply must apply this law around this loop and find ## V_{0} ##

We can use a simple equation here, but usually when going around in a "loop" I learned to check the polarity of the terminal through which the current I am tracking is entering, and assign this same coefficient to the voltage function, keeping this convention consistent is important.

So if we start from the battery:

## - 30 V + 12 V + V_{0} = 0 ##
## -18 V = -V_{0} ##
## V_{0} = 18 V##

Likes scottdave

1. What is the best way to approach solving circuit diagram homework?

The best way to approach solving circuit diagram homework is to first carefully read and understand the given problem. Then, draw the circuit diagram and label all the components. Next, use the known formulas and principles of circuit analysis to solve for the unknown quantities. Finally, double-check your calculations and ensure they align with the given problem.

2. How can I improve my understanding of circuit diagrams and their components?

To improve your understanding of circuit diagrams and their components, it is important to practice drawing and analyzing different types of circuits. You can also refer to textbooks, online resources, and consult with a professor or tutor for further clarification. Additionally, hands-on experience with actual circuits can greatly enhance your understanding.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving circuit diagram homework?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving circuit diagram homework include incorrect labeling of components, forgetting to account for voltage drops, and using incorrect formulas. It is also important to double-check your calculations and ensure they are consistent with the given problem.

4. How can I prepare for a circuit diagram test?

To prepare for a circuit diagram test, it is important to review and understand all the relevant formulas and principles. Practice solving different types of circuit problems and make sure you are familiar with common circuit components and their symbols. It can also be helpful to work through old homework or practice tests to identify areas where you may need more practice.

5. How can I save time when solving circuit diagram homework?

To save time when solving circuit diagram homework, it is important to first read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. Make sure to organize your work neatly and use a systematic approach, such as following a specific order for solving circuit problems. If possible, use a calculator or software to assist with calculations and double-check your work to avoid making any mistakes that may waste time.