Solving Equation With Natural Log

In summary, the given equation can be solved by first simplifying it to a quadratic equation in ln(x). Then, using the quadratic formula, we can obtain two solutions for ln(x), which we can then solve for x. The final solutions are x=1 and x=7.389.
darshanpatel

Homework Statement

Solve the Equation, Check for extraneous solutions.

(ln x)^2 = ln (x^2)

Homework Equations

-None-

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried simplifying it down for myself but got stuck and don't know what to do next.

(ln x)^2= ln x^2

(loge x)^2 = loge x^2

Please help! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Use [itex]ln(x^2)=2ln(x)[/itex] to obtain a quadratic equation in ln(x).

What do you mean quadratic equation?

I know through what you are saying that I will get 0= ((ln x)^2)-2lnx right?

would i plug it into the quadratic forumla or something like:

x= (-(2ln) +/-√((2ln)^2 - 4(lnx)(0)))/2(lnx)

?

darshanpatel said:
What do you mean quadratic equation?
The equation is actually quadratic in ln(x). IOW, that means it's an equation in which ln(x) appears to, at most, the second power.
darshanpatel said:
I know through what you are saying that I will get 0= ((ln x)^2)-2lnx right?

would i plug it into the quadratic forumla or something like:

x= (-(2ln) +/-√((2ln)^2 - 4(lnx)(0)))/2(lnx)

?
You wouldn't be solving for x; you will be solving for ln(x), and you should get two values. For each value you can solve the resulting equation for x.

Note that 2ln is meaningless, just as the symbol √ by itself is also meaningless.

How do I solve for it? What would it be/look like?

You had the right idea going, darshanpatel. If you follow Mark44's advice and instead of using the quadratic equation to find x, try to find ln(x). In your case, if you replace ln(x) = y or some other variable into your first equation in post #3, you would get:

y^2 - 2y = 0

If you solve for y using the Quadratic Equation, you should get two answers.

After you get those two answers, replace back in ln(x) for y.

Then solve for x with your two equations.

Good luck!

(I hope that made sense and uses correct logic. I am an engineering major, so I am trained toward using mathematics as a tool for design purposes. I love using math; I just am not trained in proofs or at in-depth mathematics period...at least, not yet)

You surely don't need the quadratic formula to solve [itex]y^2- 2y= 0[/itex]! However, although the quadratic equation has two solutions, the original equation has only one solution.

I get two perfectly viable solutions for the original equation from this process, HallsofIvy.

You do get two solutions, HallsofIvy. You were correct, however, in saying that the Quadratic Formula is not necessary to solve the equation.

so would it be like this:

(ln x)^2=ln x^2

(ln x)^2= 2ln x

ln(x)=y

y^2=2y

y^2-2y=0

y(y-2)=o

y=0 and y=2

as solutions?

because if i plug this into the quadratic equation:

y^2-2y=0

where a:1 b:-2 and c: 0

I still get: y=0 and y=2

is that right?

After I get y=0 and y=2, i plug it into lnx^2-2lnx=0 right?

So plug in 0 and 2 for the x's?

darshanpatel said:
After I get y=0 and y=2, i plug it into lnx^2-2lnx=0 right?

So plug in 0 and 2 for the x's?
You don't plug 0 and 4 in for x !

You solve each equation for x: ln(x) = 2 and ln(x) = 0 .

so would it be like for ln(x)=2

e^ln(x)=e^2
x=e^2
x is about 7.389

and ln(x)=0
e^ln(x)=e^0
x=1

x= 1, 7.389

right?

Would that be the correct answer?

1. What is the natural log function and how does it relate to solving equations?

The natural log function, ln(x), is the inverse of the exponential function, e^x. It is used to solve equations that involve exponential terms by isolating the variable in the exponent and taking the natural log of both sides.

2. How do I solve an equation with natural log on both sides?

To solve an equation with natural log on both sides, first isolate the term with the natural log on one side of the equation. Then, take the natural log of both sides. This will cancel out the natural log on the side with the variable, allowing you to solve for the variable.

3. Can natural log be used to solve equations with other types of logarithms?

Yes, natural log can be used to solve equations with other types of logarithms, such as base 10 or base 2 logarithms. However, you will need to use the change of base formula to convert the other logarithm to a natural log before proceeding with the solution.

4. What is the domain of natural log and how does it affect solving equations?

The domain of natural log is all positive real numbers. This means that when solving equations with natural log, the variable must have a positive value. If the variable has a negative value, the equation will have no solution.

5. Are there any special rules or properties for solving equations with natural log?

Yes, there are a few rules and properties that can be helpful when solving equations with natural log. These include the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. Additionally, you can use exponent properties to simplify equations with natural log before solving.