Solving for d in a Simple Math Problem

• Thread starter CRich
  • Start date
In summary: I got the wrong answer but I got the right answer in the endIn summary, the person is trying to solve a problem involving reciprocals and square roots. They were given the answer and the goal was to get the d2 factor all by itself. They got the answer in the end.
CRich
simple math...just not for me

I'm currently in Mechanics of Materials and I have reduced my problem to something similar to: 510/7.6=8.25/((pi/4)*d^2)

how do I solve for d? I have been given the answer (from the back of the book) but i don't remember how to solve for d...by the way the above numbers are random and not from my text...but it is similar...thx crich

Physics news on Phys.org

There are a couple possible first-steps to take.

1. Take the reciprocal of both sides.

2. Multiply both sides by d^2

Either way, your main strategy should be getting d^2 by itself.

so I would have :
((pi/4)*510)/(8.25*7.6)=1/d^2 ...?

No. The goal is to get d2 all by itself on one side.
Here's where you're starting from:
[tex]\frac{510}{7.6} = \frac{8.25}{(\pi/4) d^2}[/tex]

The simplest thing to do is to take the reciprocals of both sides, as pinu7 suggested (the idea is that, if a/b = c/d, then b/a = d/c).

After that, it should be a relatively simple matter to isolate the d2 factor. The final step would be taking the square root of both sides, keeping in mind that d can have two values: one positive and one negative.

okay so I would have sqr((8.25*7.6)/((PI/4))*510)=d

Yes, but again there are mathematically two possible values for d, although the negative value might not be relevant for your problem.

Okay...thx the ans is going to be postive b/c it is a force...thx for all yall's help

okay so I'm home now and I've tried what was suggested but, I still don't get the right ans...:
510/1.75=8.30/(pi/4)*d^2

I used the reciprocals and got 1.75/510=(pi/4)*d^2/8.30 ... reduced and I got
sqr root (4*8.30*1.75/pi510)=d ans:.5982 the book ans is 6.02... where did I go wrong?

nevermind I got it... I didn't make all the units match

Related to Solving for d in a Simple Math Problem

1. Why do some people struggle with simple math?

There are a variety of reasons why some people may have difficulty with simple math. Some possible factors include a lack of exposure or practice, a learning disability, or a negative attitude towards math.

2. Can someone improve their math skills?

Yes, with practice and determination, anyone can improve their math skills. It may take more effort for some individuals, but consistent practice and seeking help when needed can lead to improvement.

3. Is there a difference between "simple" math and "complex" math?

The term "simple math" typically refers to basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. "Complex math" usually refers to more advanced topics like algebra, geometry, or calculus.

4. What are some strategies for learning simple math?

Some effective strategies for learning simple math include practicing regularly, breaking down problems into smaller steps, using visual aids or manipulatives, and seeking help from a tutor or teacher when needed.

5. How can I overcome my fear of math?

One way to overcome a fear of math is to reframe your mindset and approach towards it. Instead of seeing it as a daunting subject, try to view it as a challenge to overcome and approach it with a positive attitude. Additionally, seeking support and resources, such as a tutor or online tutorials, can also help build confidence in math skills.