Solving for Electric Potential Energy , given 4 point charges of equal value

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric potential energy of four point charges placed at the corners of a square. Using the equation U_E = qV, and considering the potential energy gained by each charge due to the presence of the others, the total potential energy can be calculated by summing the energies between each pair of charges.
cgaleb

Homework Statement

Four point charges are individually brought from infinity and placed at the corners of a square whose sides are 0.30 m each. Each charge has the identical value + 4.0 mC. What is the electric potential energy of these four charges?

Homework Equations

V=kq/r (or at least this is the equation I have been attempting to use to solve this)
k= 9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2
q= 4 x 10^-6 C
r= 3.0 m

The Attempt at a Solution

[(9x10^9)(4x10^-6)]/.3=1.2X10^5

Since all charges are the same I take that answer multiply by four to get the sum, which gives me 4.8x10^5 V.

However, the answer is in V and I need an answer in Joules (J). So I am assuming I am not even using the correct equation to solve for EPE. I'm sure if I could figure out what equation to use to solve for EPE in Joules, I could do the math. My problem is not knowing what equation to use to solve the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the equation [tex]U_E = qV[/tex]?

Yeah, I actually came across that a few minutes ago and tried to plug in what I knew.
which would give me UE=qV, or (4x10^-6)(4.8x10^5)=1.92 Joules.

I plugged in the answer for V that I got before, and used the given charge.

Does this sound right?

hmm I don't think so. Consider this: if a charge is brought from infinity to one of the corners of the square, that charge gains potential energy due to the presence of all the other charges. That means that the total potential energy will be the sum of energies between q1 and q2, q1 and q3, q2 and q3, q1 and q4, q2 and q4, and q3 and q4 (where q1-4 are the charges). Note that [tex]U_E = qV = \frac{k q_1q_2}{r}[/tex]

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy stored in a system of charges due to their positions and interactions with each other. It is a measure of the work required to move a charge from one point to another within the system.

2. How do you calculate electric potential energy?

To calculate electric potential energy, you need to know the magnitude and signs of the charges involved, as well as their distances from each other. The formula for electric potential energy is U = kQ1Q2/r, where k is the Coulomb constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the importance of solving for electric potential energy?

Solving for electric potential energy allows us to understand the interactions and behavior of charged particles in a system. It also helps us to determine the stability of a system and the amount of work needed to move charges within it.

4. Can you solve for electric potential energy with more than 4 point charges?

Yes, the formula for electric potential energy can be applied to any number of point charges in a system. However, as the number of charges increases, the calculations can become more complex and time-consuming.

5. How does the value of the point charges affect the electric potential energy?

The value of the point charges directly affects the electric potential energy. As the charges increase in magnitude, the electric potential energy also increases. Similarly, if the charges have opposite signs, the potential energy will be negative, indicating an attractive force between the charges.