Solving for X (grph.calculator needed?)

• Thread starter Wa1337
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the task is to solve for x in the equation x3 + 2x2 - 11x = 6. The conversation mentions using a graphing calculator to find the roots, as well as possible alternative methods such as the rational root theorem and the cubic formula. However, it is ultimately decided that a graphing calculator is the best option for solving this particular equation.
Wa1337

Homework Statement

Solve For x: x3 + 2x2 - 11x = 6

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I got to x3 + 2x2 - 11x - 6 = 0

It says to list the windows I work with (using a graphing calculator). I am unable to since I don't have one and won't be assigned one until the school year starts. How do I go about solving this function for zeros.

Physics news on Phys.org
This equation doesn't factor into whole numbers. :( Using the graphing calculator, you would graph it and then use the trace tool to find the roots. I believe there is a formula for cubic equations that is kind of like the quadratic equation but more complicated, but I don't know what it is.

Try the rational root theorem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_root_theorem

If that doesn't work and you can't use iterative methods (which probably won't give you exact roots), it's cubic formula for you.

Alright thank you. Will try and report back if I can :)

ArcanaNoir said:
This equation doesn't factor into whole numbers. :( Using the graphing calculator, you would graph it and then use the trace tool to find the roots. I believe there is a formula for cubic equations that is kind of like the quadratic equation but more complicated, but I don't know what it is.

gb7nash said:
Try the rational root theorem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_root_theorem

If that doesn't work and you can't use iterative methods (which probably won't give you exact roots), it's cubic formula for you.

I'm afraid the Rational root theorem doesn't work in this case.
And the formula for cubic equations is pretty messy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_function

I'm afraid graphic calculator it is! :wink:

What is "solving for X"?

"Solving for X" is a common phrase used in mathematics and science, referring to the process of finding the value of an unknown variable (represented by "X") in an equation or problem.

Why is a graphing calculator needed for solving for X?

A graphing calculator is often needed for solving for X because it allows you to visualize and manipulate equations and data, making it easier to solve for a variable. It can also perform complex calculations and show the relationship between different variables.

What are some common methods for solving for X?

There are several methods for solving for X, including substitution, elimination, and using the quadratic formula. These methods involve manipulating an equation or system of equations to isolate the variable and determine its value.

Can any equation be solved for X?

In general, yes, any equation can be solved for X. However, some equations may have complex solutions or may require advanced mathematical techniques to solve. In these cases, a graphing calculator can be helpful in finding a solution.

How can solving for X be applied in real life?

Solving for X has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, finance, and science. It can be used to calculate the value of unknown quantities in a variety of real-world problems, such as determining the optimal dosage of a medication or predicting the trajectory of a projectile.