Solving a Puzzling Equation: A Homework Statement

• Thread starter GrandMaster87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, solving a puzzling equation helps us understand the relationship between variables and find a solution to a problem or question. The steps involved include identifying given variables, rearranging the equation, and performing necessary mathematical operations. Common strategies for solving such equations include substitution, elimination, and using the quadratic formula. To ensure correctness, the solution can be checked by plugging it back into the original equation or using mathematical tools. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and choose the appropriate method, as not all equations can be solved using the same technique.
GrandMaster87

Homework Statement

Hi .

I found this in my textbook. I want to know how they got to the answer. I really don't know how they got it.

[tex]\frac{\frac{x}{2}}{0.40-\frac{x}{2}}[/tex]= 6.8 x 10-2
x= 0.0272 - 0.068x
x= 0.025

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

i just don't know where to start or how to solve this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply both sides by 0.4-x/2

rootX said:
Multiply both sides by 0.4-x/2
thanks...cant believe the solution was so simple...sometimes the easiest things become so mind boggling

1. What is the purpose of solving a puzzling equation?

Solving a puzzling equation helps us understand the relationship between different variables and find a solution to a problem or question.

2. What are the steps to solve a puzzling equation?

The steps to solve a puzzling equation include identifying the given variables, rearranging the equation to isolate the variable being solved for, and performing the necessary mathematical operations to find the solution.

3. What are some common strategies for solving a puzzling equation?

Some common strategies for solving a puzzling equation include substitution, elimination, and using the quadratic formula. It is important to choose the strategy that best fits the given equation.

4. How do I know if my solution to a puzzling equation is correct?

You can check if your solution is correct by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator or other mathematical tools to verify your solution.

5. Can I use the same method to solve all types of puzzling equations?

Not all puzzling equations can be solved using the same method. Some equations may require more advanced techniques or multiple steps to find the solution. It is important to carefully analyze the given equation and choose the appropriate method for solving it.