Solving NAND Boolean Logic Homework w/ Q=A+B+C+D

• Thread starter thomas49th
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, to solve NAND Boolean logic problems, you need to convert inputs to binary form and use a NAND gate to evaluate each input and its corresponding logic operator. NAND Boolean logic is a type of digital logic used for performing logical operations on binary inputs. Its purpose is to produce a binary output in applications such as digital circuits and computer science. The basic principles of NAND Boolean logic include negation, conjunction, and universality. An example of solving a NAND Boolean logic problem is given, where the final output is determined to be false.
thomas49th

Homework Statement

Taking the statement Q = A + B + C + D

Rewrite using only NAND (2 inp) and NOT gates

Homework Equations

Well I want to do it all in NAND gates - because we can easily tie NAND inputs to make it a NOT

[tex]\overline{AA} = \overline{A}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

At the moment Q is equal to true if A OR B OR C OR D is true.

I can change OR into a NAND gate quite easily.

[tex]\overline{\overline{(x+y)}} = \overline{\overline{x}\bullet\overline{y}}[/tex]

which is

[tex]x+y = \overline{\overline{x}\bullet\overline{y}}[/tex]

this means I obtain

[tex]\overline{\overline{A}\bullet\overline{B}\bullet\overline{C}\bullet\overline{D}}[/tex]

But this has NOTs and AND logic in, not NAND. I need expressions in NAND which is [tex]\overline{AB}[/tex]

Any hints?

Thanks
Thomas

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by using your identity

[tex]
x+y = \overline{\overline{x}\bullet\overline{y}}
[/tex]

on (A+B) + (C+D).

Still get to the same place:

[tex](A+B)+(C+D)[/tex]

[tex]\overline{\overline{A}\bullet\overline{B}} + \overline{\overline{C}\bullet\overline{D}}[/tex]

[tex]\overline{\overline{\overline{\overline{A}\bullet\overline{B}}} + \overline{\overline{\overline{C}\bullet\overline{D}}}}[/tex]

[tex]
\overline{\overline{A}\bullet\overline{B}\bullet\overline{C}\bullet\overline{D}}
[/tex]

Hmmm :(

Was I meant to perform some other manipulation part way?

Thanks
Thomas :)

Here's how I sometimes think of these things. Let's denote the nand function of A and B by n(A,B). So

[tex]n(A,B) = \overline{A\cdot B}[/tex]

So your equation
[tex]

x+y = \overline{\overline{x}\bullet\overline{y}}

[/tex]

becomes

[tex]A + B = n(\overline A,\overline B)[/tex]

or "the sum becomes the nand of the complements" (DeMorgans rule). This gives

[tex](A+B) + (C + D) = n(\overline{A+B},\overline{C+D})[/tex]

Now apply the same rule to the sums on the right side. This will leave you an expression with only nands and complements, which can be expressed with inverters.

[tex]
(A+B) + (C + D) = n(\overline{n(\overline{A},\overline{B}}),\overline{n(\overline{C},\overline{D}})
[/tex]

Which is the same as

[tex]
\overline{\overline{\overline{\overline{A}\bullet\overline{B}}} + \overline{\overline{\overline{C}\bullet\overline{D }}}}
[/tex]

thomas49th said:
[tex]
(A+B) + (C + D) = n(\overline{n(\overline{A},\overline{B}}),\overline{n(\overline{C},\overline{D}})
[/tex]

Yes. So are we done here? Do you see how to implement it as a nand and inverter circuit?

Which is the same as

[tex]
\overline{\overline{\overline{\overline{A}\bullet\overline{B}}} + \overline{\overline{\overline{C}\bullet\overline{D }}}}
[/tex]

LCKurtz said:
Yes. So are we done here? Do you see how to implement it as a nand and inverter circuit?
I think so

[tex]

\overline{\overline{A}\bullet\overline{B} + \overline{C}\bullet\overline{D}}

[/tex]

is the same as

[tex]

(A+B) + (C + D) = n(\overline{n(\overline{A},\overline{B}}),\overline {n(\overline{C},\overline{D}})

[/tex]

I just can't see how to get into the NAND form: [tex]\overline{A \bullet B}[/tex]
instead of using the new implementation you use n(\overline{A},\overline{B}})

Thank
Thomas

thomas49th said:
[tex]

(A+B) + (C + D) = n(\overline{n(\overline{A},\overline{B}}),\overline {n(\overline{C},\overline{D}})

[/tex]

I just can't see how to get into the NAND form: [tex]\overline{A \bullet B}[/tex]

Thank
Thomas

I think all the overlines get very confusing. But you can use that n form to immediately draw a nand and inverter circuit. The outside n gives you the nand of two things. What two things? The invert of the two inside nands. So I would start by drawing the output nand gate with inverters at its two inputs. What is on the inputs of these inverters? The inside nands. So put a nand in front of each inverter with their inputs which are the inverted A,B,C, and D inputs.

To express it as in logic notation in terms of just nands and complements, the n expression could be written like this:

[tex]\overline{\left(\overline{\left(\overline{\overline A \cdot \overline B}\right)}\right)
\cdot \left(\overline{\left(\overline{\overline C \cdot \overline D}\right)}\right)}[/tex]

Here the big parentheses with the complement over them represent a nand gate, and its inputs are the complments of the nand gates represented by the inner parentheses. The second level nands have the complents of A,B,C, and D for inputs.

Last edited:
[tex]\overline{\left(\overline{\left(\overline{\overline A \cdot \overline B}\right)}\right) \cdot \left(\overline{\left(\overline{\overline C \cdot \overline D}\right)}\right)}[/tex]

is the same as

[tex]\overline{\overline{\overline{\overline{A}\bullet\overline{B}}} + \overline{\overline{\overline{C}\bullet\overline{D }}}}[/tex]

You've just put brackets in seperating the complements that COULD cancel?

Right.
Excellent :)

thomas49th said:
[tex]\overline{\left(\overline{\left(\overline{\overline A \cdot \overline B}\right)}\right) \cdot \left(\overline{\left(\overline{\overline C \cdot \overline D}\right)}\right)}[/tex]

is the same as

[tex]\overline{\overline{\overline{\overline{A}\bullet\overline{B}}} + \overline{\overline{\overline{C}\bullet\overline{D }}}}[/tex]

You've just put brackets in seperating the complements that COULD cancel?

Right.
Excellent :)

You don't want to cancel the complements. Your expression has a "+" in it which represents OR. It may be logically equivalent but it doesn't give a nand and inverter representation any more than A + B + C + D does.

Related to Solving NAND Boolean Logic Homework w/ Q=A+B+C+D

1. How do I solve NAND Boolean logic problems?

To solve NAND Boolean logic problems, you need to follow these steps:1. Convert all inputs to their binary form (0 or 1).2. Use the NAND gate to evaluate each input and its corresponding logic operator (AND, OR, or NOT).3. Repeat this process until you reach the final output.4. If the final output is 0, the statement is true. If it is 1, the statement is false.

2. What is NAND Boolean logic?

NAND Boolean logic is a type of digital logic that uses a specific type of logic gate called a NAND gate. It is based on the concept of negation and conjunction, and it is commonly used in digital circuits and computer science.

3. What is the purpose of using NAND Boolean logic?

The purpose of using NAND Boolean logic is to perform logical operations on binary inputs and produce a binary output. This is useful in digital circuits and computer science applications where logical operations need to be performed.

4. What are the basic principles of NAND Boolean logic?

The basic principles of NAND Boolean logic are:1. Negation: A NAND gate produces a 0 output only when both inputs are 1.2. Conjunction: A NAND gate produces a 1 output only when both inputs are 0.3. Universality: Any logical operation can be implemented using only NAND gates.

5. Can you provide an example of solving a NAND Boolean logic problem?

Sure, here is an example:Given the expression Q = A NAND (B AND C), where A, B, and C are binary inputs.1. Convert the inputs to binary form: A = 1, B = 0, C = 1.2. Use the NAND gate to evaluate B AND C: 0 AND 1 = 0.3. Use the NAND gate to evaluate A NAND (B AND C): 1 NAND 0 = 1.4. The final output is Q = 1, which means the statement is false.