Solving Newton's Third Law: Where Am I Going Wrong?

In summary: He got his answer by substituting 5m/s^2 instead of -5m/s^2 for a.He got his answer by substituting 5m/s^2 instead of -5m/s^2 for a.Yes.
alingy1
Please look at picture.

Here are my equations:
For 10kg:
-uk m2 g cosθ -T -m2 g sinθ=m2 a

For 20kg:
T-m1 g =m1 a

Add them:

-uk m2 g cosθ -m2 g sinθ -m1 g =(m2+m1) a

a= 5 m/s^2 (kinematics equations)

Isolating uk gives 3.66!

The real answer is 0.16.

Where am I going wrong?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-18 at 1.35.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-18 at 1.35.20 PM.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 466
Physics news on Phys.org
The gravitational force on m2 (along the incline) points in the wrong direction in your first equation.

Sorry I wrongly typed it.

My original calculations also gave me this formula : -uk m2 g cosθ +m2 g sinθ -m1 g =(m2+m1) a

But, I got 3.66, which makes no sense.

Anyone?

You're not getting 3.66, only -3.66.

You're getting that because you have the wrong sign for the acceleration. If it's positive, it increases velocity, not decreases it. It pops up from the kinematic equations anyway. Go ahead and check it again.

alingy1 said:
Please look at picture.

Here are my equations:
For 10kg:
-uk m2 g cosθ -T -m2 g sinθ=m2 a

For mass 2, m2 if you choose to use a negative sign to go with the tension, T, then the sign convention for m2 is that motion to the left & down the ramp is positive motion. That's perfectly fine & it will work out very nicely for this problem. Friction will oppose the motion, so you used the correct sign with it. In what direction will gravity tend to make m2 move?

Your chosen sign convention also makes the sign of a2 be consistent with the sign of a1.

For 20kg:
T-m1 g =m1 a

Add them:

-uk m2 g cosθ -m2 g sinθ -m1 g =(m2+m1) a

a= 5 m/s^2 (kinematics equations)

Isolating uk gives 3.66!

The real answer is 0.16.

Where am I going wrong?

alingy1 said:
Sorry I wrongly typed it.

My original calculations also gave me this formula : -uk m2 g cosθ +m2 g sinθ -m1 g =(m2+m1) a

But, I got 3.66, which makes no sense.
It is pretty hard to figure out where you went wrong when you don't show us how you got your answer.

Take the suggestion from the question and do a free body diagram for each mass. Then write the equation of motion for each:

(1) T-m1g = m1a

(2) m2gsinθ -μk m2 g cosθ - T = m2a

Then all you have to do is solve the system of two equations for μk and a, which appears to be what you have done. Show us how you got your answer and we might be able to help you.

AM

Last edited:
He got his answer by substituting 5m/s^2 instead of -5m/s^2 for a.

Bandersnatch said:
He got his answer by substituting 5m/s^2 instead of -5m/s^2 for a.
Yes. Another approach to solving this is by using the change in energy:

change in energy = ΔKE + ΔPE = work done against friction.

AM

Related to Solving Newton's Third Law: Where Am I Going Wrong?

1. What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

2. What is the significance of Newton's Third Law?

This law is significant because it explains the relationship between forces and motion. It also helps us understand how objects interact with each other and why they move the way they do.

3. How do I solve problems involving Newton's Third Law?

To solve problems involving Newton's Third Law, you need to identify the action and reaction forces, draw a free body diagram, and use Newton's Second Law (F=ma) to calculate the acceleration of the objects.

4. Where do people commonly make mistakes when solving problems involving Newton's Third Law?

People often make mistakes by not correctly identifying the action and reaction forces or by not considering all the forces acting on the objects in the problem.

5. How can I improve my understanding and application of Newton's Third Law?

To improve your understanding and application of Newton's Third Law, you can practice solving different types of problems, seek help from a tutor or teacher, and review the key concepts and equations associated with the law.