Solving Power of Projectile with Air Resistance

In summary, the author is trying to calculate the initial velocity of a projectile fired, using energy conservation. However, they make a mistake in energy conservation and do not account for energy lost due to air resistance. Air drag would definitely affect the velocities of the projectile. If the author is attempting to include air resistance in their equation, they should first try to understand the mistake they are making, and then integrate the air resistance over the trajectory.
oghenez

Homework Statement

I need to get the x/y values of a fired projectile given the angle of the initial firs and the power, with air resistance included

Homework Equations

(@ =theta, Vx=velocity along x-axis,Vy=velocity along y-axis,Vo=initial velocity)
The formula i have is
Vx=VoCos@
X=VoCos@t
Vy=VoSin@-gt
Y=VoSin@t-(1/2)gt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

to calculate the initial velocity Vo
Vo=sqr(2E/m)
where
E = power with which the ball was fired,
m =mass of ball

What i need it how to add air resistance to this equation
Besides, are my equation correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
please i just need to include air drag into this, please, i have search the forum without success

IN YOUR FIRST POST SPECIALLY WITH YOUR ATTEMPT TO SOLUTION.YOU ARE TRYING TO APPLY ENERGY CONSERVATION FOR SUCH A CASE WHERE YOU WANT AIR RESISTANCE INCLUDED YET YOU DON'T KNOW THE ENERGY LOST DUE TO IT?
IT IS THUS WRONG.
BY THE WAY FOR AIR DRAG IT'S VERY DIFFICULT TO INCLUDE IT ON EQUATION'S.MANY A TIMES IT IS WRITTEN AS:FORCE DUE TO AIR=KV2.
WHERE V IS INSTANTANEOUS VELOCITY OF PARTICLE, K IS A CONSTANT FACTOR DEPENDING UPON VARIOUS THINGS LIKE SHAPE,SPEED OF WIND'S,etc.
YOU MAY INCLUDE THE ABOVE EQUATION BUT BY INTEGRATING IT ALL OVER THE TRAJECTORY.
IF YOU WANT MORE DETAILS POST AGAIN AND I SHALL SHOW YOU THOSE CALCULATIONS!

am trying to simulate the movement of a projectile, but instead of adding initial velocity, i added initial KE, that is the initial with which the ball was fired, so i used
E=0.2mV^2
thus initial velocity V is
Vo=sqrt(2E/m)
the vertical component of the velocity at anytime Vy
Vy=VoSin(theta)-gt
the horizontal velocity Vx is
Vx=VoCos(theta)

The air drag would definitely affect the velocities of the projectile

so the question is, how do i add the air drag in this equation?

FIRSTLY TRY TO UNDERSTAND TOUR MISTAKE IN ENERGY CONSERVATION.YOU DO NOT KNOW ENERGY LOST DUE TO AIR IN FORM OF HEAT,SOUND,etc.
WELL YES THE AIR DRAG WILL CERTAINLY AFFECT Vx & Vy.just check the attachment as it's difficult for me to type here with math symbols.
BY THE WAY THE ATTACHMENT'S ARE IMAGES GOT USING PRINT SCREEN COMMAND.THEY START FROM 1 TO 5.EACH ARE IN ORDER.DO TRY TO UNDERSTAND.

:smile:BEST OF LUCK!:smile:

Attachments

• attach-1.zip
    233.5 KB · Views: 102
  • attach-2.zip
    245.6 KB · Views: 126
  • attach-3.zip
    126 KB · Views: 135

1. What is the Solving Power of Projectile with Air Resistance?

The Solving Power of Projectile with Air Resistance refers to the mathematical approach used to calculate the trajectory, velocity, and position of a projectile when air resistance is taken into account. This is important in understanding the flight of objects such as bullets, rockets, and sports balls.

2. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, slowing it down and causing it to deviate from its expected path. The amount of air resistance depends on the shape, size, and speed of the projectile.

3. What are the key factors to consider when solving for the power of a projectile with air resistance?

The key factors to consider are the initial velocity of the projectile, its mass, the angle at which it is launched, the air density, and the drag coefficient of the object. These factors are used in equations such as the drag force equation and the projectile motion equations to calculate the projectile's trajectory and velocity.

4. How do you account for air resistance in projectile motion calculations?

Air resistance is accounted for by adding the drag force equation to the equations of projectile motion. The drag force is calculated using the air density, the projectile's velocity, and its drag coefficient. This force is then used to adjust the projectile's acceleration and ultimately its trajectory.

5. What is the significance of understanding the solving power of projectile with air resistance?

Understanding the solving power of projectile with air resistance is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and ballistics. It allows for more accurate predictions of the motion of projectiles, which can have practical applications in fields such as sports, military operations, and space exploration.