Solving Projected Particle Problem: Find Value of h

• Thread starter aurao2003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving a particle being projected vertically upwards and calculating its height at a certain point. The attempt at solving the problem involves using various equations and variables, but the answer and reasoning is incorrect. The suggestion is to use the quadratic formula to solve for the height.
aurao2003

Homework Statement

Hi
I have been stumped by this question for the past few days. Worrying since I will be sitting STEP in June! Never mind. It goes like this:

A particle is projected vertically upwards with a speed of 30m/s from a point A. The point B is h metres above A. The particle moves freely under gravity and is above B for a time 2.4s. Calculate the value of h.

Homework Equations

V=U + at
V^2=U^s +2aS

The Attempt at a Solution

These are my parameters:

From A to B
u=30
a=-9.8
s=h

From B
u=?
a=-9.8
s=?
t=2.4

I took t=2.4 as the Maximum height above B.(I am not sure about this line of reasoning!)
Based on that V=0
Using V=U + at
U=23.52 m/s (This seemed to make sense since particle will start decelerating at some point)
So, U (at b)=23.52 m/s

Considering it from A to B
U=30
V=23.52
a=-9.8
S=h
Using V^2=U^s +2aS

h=17.7m (3s.f)

But alas, it seems my answer (and probable reasoning) is wrong. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a lot of variables and no explanation of what they are.

The way I would do this would be to solve the quadratic formula for h(t) - h, where h(t) is the function of time to hight, and h is the hight you're trying to find. h would be grouped with c. I can't desern the values of a, b, and c from your post, so you're going to have to plug them in. Since you know that the quadratic equation is give the zeros of the function, and by subtracting h, you're shifting the function down, such that the new zeros are at the values of t are values that would have made h(t)=h
[tex]\frac{-b-\sqrt{b^2-4a(c-h)}}{2a}-\frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4a(c-h)}}{2a}=2.4[/tex]

Related to Solving Projected Particle Problem: Find Value of h

1. How do I determine the value of h in a projected particle problem?

To determine the value of h in a projected particle problem, you will need to use the time, velocity, and height variables given in the problem. Use the formula h = (1/2)gt^2 + vt + h0, where g is the acceleration due to gravity and h0 is the initial height. Plug in the given values and solve for h.

2. What are the units for h in a projected particle problem?

The units for h in a projected particle problem will depend on the units used for time, velocity, and height. If time is measured in seconds, velocity in meters per second, and height in meters, then the units for h will be in meters.

3. How do I interpret the value of h in a projected particle problem?

The value of h in a projected particle problem represents the height of the particle at a given time. It can be positive, negative, or zero depending on the direction of the particle's motion and the initial height. A positive value of h indicates the particle is above the initial height, while a negative value indicates it is below the initial height.

4. Can I use the formula for h = (1/2)gt^2 + vt + h0 for any projected particle problem?

Yes, the formula for h = (1/2)gt^2 + vt + h0 can be used for any projected particle problem as long as you have the necessary variables (time, velocity, and height) and are dealing with a constant acceleration due to gravity.

5. What should I do if my calculated value of h is negative in a projected particle problem?

If your calculated value of h is negative in a projected particle problem, it means that the particle has fallen below the initial height. This could be due to an error in calculations or the initial conditions of the problem. Double check your calculations and make sure the initial height is accurate. If the problem still persists, you may need to reevaluate the problem and consider other factors such as air resistance or wind.