Solving Rotating Systems: Finding Normal Force on Motorcycle

In summary, when considering a motorcycle driving along the walls of a rotating ring, the normal force exerted by the walls is equal to the centrifugal force of the motorcycle, which can be calculated using the mass, angular velocity, and radius of the ring. However, when considering the problem from the ring's reference frame, the coriolis effect must also be taken into account. Using all three frames, it can be seen that the normal force remains the same regardless of the frame used.
Chen
A motorcycle is driving along the walls of a round ring, which is rotating at [tex]\omega_0[/tex]. Its speed is constant V, in the same direction of the ring itself. Its mass is m, and the radius of the ring is R. I need to find the normal force that the walls exert on the motorcycle.

If we look at the problem from the motorcycle's reference frame, then it is stationary in a frame that is rotating at [tex]\omega[/tex] = ([tex]\omega_0[/tex] + V/R), so the normal force is equal to the centrifugal force:

[tex]N = m\omega^2R = m(\omega_0 + \frac{v}{R})^2R[/tex]

Now, if we look at this from the ring's reference frame, then the motorcycle is moving at a constant speed V inside the ring which is rotating at [tex]\omega_0[/tex]. Then we also need to take into account coriolis effect (right?), and the forces in the radial axis are:

[tex]N + 2m\omega_0v - m\omega_0^2R = 0[/tex]

But the normal force is the same, no matter which frame we use, so:

[tex]m\omega_0^2R - 2m\omega_0v = m(\omega_0 + \frac{v}{R})^2R[/tex]
[tex]\omega_0^2 - 2\omega_0\frac{v}{R} = (\omega_0 + \frac{v}{R})^2[/tex]

And that's obviously incorrect... so can someone please point out my mistakes? :smile:

Thanks,
Chen

Physics news on Phys.org
Chen said:
Then we also need to take into account coriolis effect (right?),
Why? There is no radial component of velocity.

Doc Al said:
Ahh... I see... so the normal is just:
[tex]N = m(\omega_0 + \frac{v}{R})^2R[/tex]
?

That's what I would say. :wink:

Doc Al said:
That's what I would say. :wink:
Whoop-dee-do, it's right. Thanks Doc. :smile: Why on Earth wouldI try to overcomplicate this? :confused:

Doc Al said:
The solution was correct, but I'm not sure about one thing. We found that:

[tex]N = m(\omega_0 + \frac{v}{R})^2R[/tex]

Now, if we use the ring as the reference frame, then in the radial direction we have the normal force, the centrifugal force caused by the rotation of the ring, and the centrifugal force caused by the motion of the motorcycle itself. So we get:

[tex]N = m\omega _0^2R + m\frac{v^2}{R} = m\omega _0^2R + m{\frac{v}{R}}^2R = m(\omega _0 + \frac{v}{R})^2R - 2m\omega _0v[/tex]

And that's not the same as the N we found above (which is correct). And it just so happens, that the extra expression looks just like the coriolis force... so can you please enlighten me? :smile:

Thanks,
Chen

Sorry Chen, but my earlier statement was nonsense. :blushing: I was thinking in terms of an inertial frame (the easy way to solve this problem) compared to the bike's frame (in which its speed is zero). From the ring frame, there is a coriolis force, of course.

Let's do it from all three frames:

Inertial frame:
[tex]ma = N[/tex]
[tex]m(\omega_0 + v/R)^2 R = N[/tex]

Ring frame (involves both centrifugal and coriolis terms):
[tex]ma = N -m\omega_0^2R -2m\omega_0 v[/tex]
[tex]m(v/R)^2 R = N -m\omega_0^2R -2m\omega_0 v[/tex]
[tex]N = mR[(v/R)^2 +2m\omega_0 (v/R) + \omega_0^2][/tex]
[tex]N = m(\omega_0 + v/R)^2 R[/tex]

Bike frame (no acceleration; no coriolis term; centrifugal term only)
[tex]ma = N -m(\omega_0 + v/R)^2R[/tex]
[tex]0 = N -m(\omega_0 + v/R)^2R[/tex]
[tex]N = m(\omega_0 + v/R)^2 R[/tex]

Your original error was not including the acceleration as measured in the ring frame.

(Sorry if I added to the confusion!)

Last edited:
Now it all makes sense. Thanks. :smile:

1. What is a rotating system?

A rotating system is a physical system in which one or more objects are rotating around a fixed axis. Examples include a spinning top, a merry-go-round, or a motorcycle wheel.

2. How is normal force related to rotating systems?

Normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object that is in contact with it. In the case of a rotating system, the normal force is responsible for keeping the object in circular motion by providing the necessary centripetal force.

3. What factors affect the normal force on a motorcycle in a rotating system?

The normal force on a motorcycle in a rotating system is affected by the speed of rotation, the mass of the motorcycle and rider, the radius of the circular path, and the angle of inclination of the motorcycle.

4. How can the normal force on a motorcycle in a rotating system be calculated?

The normal force on a motorcycle in a rotating system can be calculated using the equation N = mv²/r, where N is the normal force, m is the mass of the motorcycle and rider, v is the speed of rotation, and r is the radius of the circular path.

5. Why is it important to consider the normal force in solving rotating systems for motorcycles?

The normal force is crucial in ensuring that the motorcycle and rider remain in circular motion without slipping or falling off. Neglecting the normal force could result in an incorrect analysis of the system and potentially dangerous situations for the rider.