Solving Schrodinger Equation for Y(x)=A Sin (x)=0

In summary, Y(x) = A sin (kx) is a solution to the differential equation d2Y(x)/dx2 + k2Y(x)=0, where Y represents the lowercase wave function psi. The constant A represents the quantum numbers (n=1,2,3...). To show that this function is a solution, you must plug it into the differential equation and compute the derivatives. If you are unsure of the value of A, you can solve for it by plugging the solution into the equation or by differentiating the solution twice.
ghostbuster25
ive been asked to show that the function of Y(x) = A sin (x) = 0 is a solution to the equation of

d2Y(x)
dx2

+k2Y(x)=0

where the Y is meant to be the lowercase wavefunctio psi...i just can't get it to work on this :(

basiaclly I am completely stuck. I am not really sure what to do! any help would be much appreciated :)

many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You're supposed to plug Y(x) into the differential equation and compute the derivatives.

yer that's what I've just been reading but i am unsure of the value of Y

thanks for quick reply :)

sorry what i meant was that i am unsure of the value of A in th function. I understand kind of how to do the rest its just the A that has thrown me

and also i made a mistake the function is Y(x) = A sin (kx) not as stated above

The A is a constant. It will be pretty obvious what that A is when you plug the solution into the differential equation. Do this and please show your work. I can't say much more until you have done that without giving away the answer.

Last edited:
is a just the quantum numbers (n=1,2,3...)
ha ha i bet its right in front of me isn't it

Why aren't you plugging the solution into the differential equation as I have asked you to do three times now?

Try doing it the other way round: try taking the solution, and differentiating it twice. See what that gives you.

Related to Solving Schrodinger Equation for Y(x)=A Sin (x)=0

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a partial differential equation that describes how the quantum state of a physical system evolves over time.

2. What is Y(x) = A Sin(x) = 0 in the context of the Schrodinger equation?

In the context of the Schrodinger equation, Y(x) = A Sin(x) = 0 represents the wave function for a particle in a one-dimensional box with infinite potential walls. This solution satisfies the boundary conditions of the box and represents a standing wave.

3. Why is solving the Schrodinger equation for Y(x) = A Sin(x) = 0 important?

Solving the Schrodinger equation for Y(x) = A Sin(x) = 0 is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of particles in a one-dimensional box with infinite potential walls. This is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and has many applications in fields such as atomic and molecular physics.

4. What are the steps for solving the Schrodinger equation for Y(x) = A Sin(x) = 0?

The steps for solving the Schrodinger equation for Y(x) = A Sin(x) = 0 involve setting up the equation, applying boundary conditions, and using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and normalization to find the solution. This process can be complex and may require the use of advanced mathematical methods.

5. What are some limitations of solving the Schrodinger equation for Y(x) = A Sin(x) = 0?

While solving the Schrodinger equation for Y(x) = A Sin(x) = 0 can provide valuable insights into the behavior of particles in a one-dimensional box, it is a simplified model and does not fully capture the complexities of real-world systems. Additionally, the solutions may not accurately describe the behavior of particles in more complex environments with varying potentials or dimensions.