1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving series with complex exponentials.

1. Dec 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I don't know how to come up with this final solution:
    [tex]1+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{jn(\theta-\phi)}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{-jn(\theta-\phi)}=1+\frac{re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}{a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}+\frac{re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}{a-re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}=\frac{a^2-r^2}{a^2-2at\cos(\theta-\phi)+r^2}[/tex]
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{jn(\theta-\phi)}[/itex], multiply by [itex]\frac{a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}{a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}[/itex]

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{jn(\theta-\phi)}(a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)})[/tex]
    [tex]=\frac{ar^n e^{jn(\theta-\phi)}}{a^n}-\frac{r^{n+1}e^{j(n+1)(\theta-\phi)}}{a^n}+\frac{ar^{n-1} e^{j(n-1)(\theta-\phi)}}{a^{n-1}}-\frac{r^{n}e^{j(n(\theta-\phi)}}{a^{n-1}}\cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot\cdot \cdot+\frac{are^{j(\theta-\phi)}}{a}-\frac{r^2e^{j2(\theta-\phi)}}{a}[/tex]
    [tex]=re^{j(\theta-\phi)}-\frac{r^{n+1}e^{j(n+1)(\theta-\phi)}}{a^n}[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow\;\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{jn(\theta-\phi)}=\frac{re^{j(\theta-\phi)}-\frac{r^{n+1}e^{j(n+1)(\theta-\phi)}}{a^n}}{a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}[/tex]

The same steps are use:
    [tex]\Rightarrow\;\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{-jn(\theta-\phi)}=\frac{re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}-\frac{r^{n+1}e^{-j(n+1)(\theta-\phi)}}{a^n}}{a-re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}[/tex]

I expand the series out. You can see most cancel each other and leaving only two terms which factored out into 4 simpler terms. You can see two of the terms match the answer:
    [tex]1+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{jn(\theta-\phi)}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{-jn(\theta-\phi)}=1+\frac{re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}{a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}-\frac{\frac{r^{n+1}e^{j(n+1)(\theta-\phi)}}{a^n}} {a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)}} +\frac{re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}{a-re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}-\frac{\frac{r^{n+1}e^{-j(n+1)(\theta-\phi)}}{a^n}} {a-re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}[/tex]

Compare with [itex]1+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{jn(\theta-\phi)}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{-jn(\theta-\phi)}=1+\frac{re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}{a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}+\frac{re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}{a-re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}[/itex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\;\frac{\frac{r^{n+1}e^{j(n+1)(\theta-\phi)}}{a^n}} {a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}+\frac{\frac{r^{n+1}e^{-j(n+1)(\theta-\phi)}}{a^n}} {a-re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}=0[/tex]

I have no idea how to make this zero, please help.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2013 #2
    I can't follow at all what you have done, so I can't comment on it.

Perhaps the best approach would be to use the commonly known result for geometric series: [tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n = \frac{1}{1-x} [/tex] for [itex] |x| < 1 [/itex]

4. Dec 18, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the reply.
    It is given [itex]r\leq a[/itex] and also [itex]|e^{j(\theta-\phi)}|\leq 1[/itex]. So that fits [itex]|x|\leq 1[/itex]

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{jn(\theta-\phi)}\;\Rightarrow\;x=\left(\frac{r}{a}\right) e^{j(\theta-\phi)}\;\Rightarrow\;\frac{1}{1-x}=\frac{a}{a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}[/tex]

The same steps are use:
    [tex]\Rightarrow\;\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{-jn(\theta-\phi)}\;\Rightarrow\;x=\left(\frac{r}{a}\right) e^{-j(\theta-\phi)} \;\Rightarrow\;\frac{1}{1-x}=\frac{a}{a-re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}[/tex]

But that will give:
    [tex]1+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{jn(\theta-\phi)}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{-jn(\theta-\phi)}=1+\frac{a}{a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}+\frac{a}{a-re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}[/tex]

That's does not give the right answer. Please help.

5. Dec 18, 2013 #4
    Notice that the summation in clamtrox' post starts at ##0## and yours starts at ##1##.

6. Dec 18, 2013 #5
    Thanks, I missed that. I have to see whether it's making any difference.

7. Dec 18, 2013 #6
    So with the extra term of [itex]n=0[/itex], both will give a 1 for [itex]n=0[/itex].

[tex]1+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{jn(\theta-\phi)}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{-jn(\theta-\phi)}=1+\frac{a}{a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}+\frac{a}{a-re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}+2[/tex]

I then factor 1 into one of the fraction:

[tex]1+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{jn(\theta-\phi)}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{-jn(\theta-\phi)}=1+\frac{a}{a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}+\frac{a}{a-re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}+2=1+\frac{2a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}{a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}+\frac{2a-re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}{a-re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}[/tex]

I still cannot get the right answer.

8. Dec 18, 2013 #7
    Don't you think that should be -2 instead of +2?

You can then give -1 to each of the fraction to get the right answer.

9. Dec 18, 2013 #8
    Can you explain how you can make it to -1. If you look at post #3, it's all positive result. n=0 then the result is +1. I don't understand why you can assign -1 to it. Please help.

Thanks

10. Dec 19, 2013 #9
    You agree that
    $$\sum_{i=0}^{\infty} x^i=\frac{1}{1-x}$$

for ##|x| < 1##.

The above series is:
    $$1+x+x^2+x^3+.......=\frac{1}{1-x}$$
    Subtract 1 from both the sides to get
    $$\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} x^i =\frac{1}{1-x}-1$$

Do you agree and does this clear your doubt?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  11. Dec 19, 2013 #10
    [tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty x^n = x \sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n [/tex]

12. Dec 19, 2013 #11

Intrastellar

Gold Member

[tex] \sum_{k=m}^\infty ar^k=\frac{ar^m}{1-r} [/tex]

Here is the more general formula, it should be easier to go from here.

13. Dec 19, 2013 #12
    Yes, I made a mistake, it's -1 instead.

The book suggested the method in my original post and I just don't see how that work!!

14. Dec 19, 2013 #13
    Do you have a link that explain a little more on this? What is the limit of [itex]r[/itex] in this?

15. Dec 19, 2013 #14
  16. Dec 19, 2013 #15
    Thanks for your help. Lastly I just want to verify this:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{jn(\theta-\phi)}\;\Rightarrow\;x=\left(\frac{r}{a}\right) e^{j(\theta-\phi)}[/tex]

It is given ##r\leq a## so ##\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n\leq 1##

[tex]|e^{jn(\theta-\phi)}|=e^{jn(\theta-\phi)}e^{-jn(\theta-\phi)}=1[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\;|x|=\left|\left(\frac{r}{a}\right) e^{j(\theta-\phi)}\right|\leq 1[/tex]
    Thanks

17. Dec 19, 2013 #16
    I just read through the article. I don't think this can work for my problem. As posted, the ##r\leq 1## in my case. This does not work for ##r=1## as the denominator become zero and the solution is unbounded.

So I have to go back to my original post #1. Maybe that's the reason the book used a complicated formula.

Please help.

Thanks

18. Dec 19, 2013 #17
    You are right, and that is also the reason I edited my previous post.

Can you perhaps post the complete problem statement? I don't see the bounds stated anywhere in the OP.

19. Dec 19, 2013 #18
    This is part of the derivation of Laplace equation on a disk. The books show these three steps. I am trying to verify this by deriving from beginning to the end. The important thing is the boundary of the disk is ##r=a##. So the solution has to be finite when ##r=a## which rules out the easy solution of the few suggestions above.

It is given by the book:
    [tex]1+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{jn(\theta-\phi)}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{-jn(\theta-\phi)}=1+\frac{re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}{a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}+\frac{re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}{a-re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}=\frac{a^2-r^2}{a^2-2at\cos(\theta-\phi)+r^2}[/tex]

This is my attempt:
    For [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{jn(\theta-\phi)}[/itex], multiply by [itex]\frac{a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}{a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}[/itex]

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{jn(\theta-\phi)}(a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)})[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{r^n e^{jn(\theta-\phi)}}{a^{n-1}}+\frac{r^{n-1} e^{j(n-1)(\theta-\phi)}}{a^{n-2}}+\frac{r^{n-2} e^{j(n-2)(\theta-\phi)}}{a^{n-3}}\cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot\cdot \cdot+\frac{r^2e^{j2(\theta-\phi)}}{a}+re^{j(\theta-\phi)}[/tex]

[tex]-\frac{r^{n+1}e^{j(n+1)(\theta-\phi)}}{a^n}-\frac{r^{n}e^{j(n(\theta-\phi)}}{a^{n-1}}-\frac{r^{n-1}e^{j(n-1)(\theta-\phi)}}{a^{n-2}}\cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot\cdot \cdot-\frac{r^3e^{-j3(\theta-\phi)}}{a^2}-\frac{r^2e^{j2(\theta-\phi)}}{a}[/tex]
    As you can see, all except two terms get cancelled out giving:
    [tex]=re^{j(\theta-\phi)}-\frac{r^{n+1}e^{j(n+1)(\theta-\phi)}}{a^n}[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow\;\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{jn(\theta-\phi)}=\frac{re^{j(\theta-\phi)}-\frac{r^{n+1}e^{j(n+1)(\theta-\phi)}}{a^n}}{a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}[/tex]

The same steps are use:
    [tex]\Rightarrow\;\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{-jn(\theta-\phi)}=\frac{re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}-\frac{r^{n+1}e^{-j(n+1)(\theta-\phi)}}{a^n}}{a-re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}[/tex]

I expand the series out. You can see most cancel each other and leaving only two terms which factored out into 4 simpler terms. You can see two of the terms match the answer:
    [tex]1+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{jn(\theta-\phi)}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{-jn(\theta-\phi)}=1+\frac{re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}{a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}-\frac{\frac{r^{n+1}e^{j(n+1)(\theta-\phi)}}{a^n}} {a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)}} +\frac{re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}{a-re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}-\frac{\frac{r^{n+1}e^{-j(n+1)(\theta-\phi)}}{a^n}} {a-re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}[/tex]

Compare with [itex]1+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{jn(\theta-\phi)}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{-jn(\theta-\phi)}=1+\frac{re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}{a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}+\frac{re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}{a-re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}[/itex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\;\frac{\frac{r^{n+1}e^{j(n+1)(\theta-\phi)}}{a^n}} {a-re^{j(\theta-\phi)}}+\frac{\frac{r^{n+1}e^{-j(n+1)(\theta-\phi)}}{a^n}} {a-re^{-j(\theta-\phi)}}=0[/tex]

I have no idea how to make this zero, please help.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  20. Dec 19, 2013 #19

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I cannot figure out what you are trying to do, but it does seem you are making the problem 100 times more difficult than it is. You want to evaluate
    [tex] 1+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{jn(\theta-\phi)}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{-jn(\theta-\phi)}
    = 1 + 2\, \text{Re}\left[ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^n e^{jn(\theta-\phi)} \right] [/tex]
    The summation can be easily computed using
    [tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} x^n = \frac{x}{1-x}, \;\; x = (r/a)\, e^{j(\theta-\phi)}. [/tex]

21. Dec 19, 2013 #20
    Yes, you are correct, but this formula cannot accommodate when ##r=a##. This is a Laplace equation on a disk where boundary condition is ##r=a##. So this formula cannot be used.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted