Solving Shapiro Delay Problem w/ Approximations: Q&A

• A
  • Thread starter exmarine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delay
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem encountered when calculating the Shapiro Delay for a radar signal from Earth to Venus, where the integrand blows up at one of the integration limits. It is noted that Zee's treatment glosses over this issue and there may be some typos. However, an approximation is made, similar to the one used in Eddington's 1919 expedition, which results in a successful calculation. It is questioned whether these approximations are legitimate and if they significantly change the results. The conversation also discusses the role of modeling and the simplicity of the Schwarzschild metric in this situation. In conclusion, the conversation highlights the need to make approximations in order to get correct results and questions the accuracy of the infinite
exmarine
TL;DR Summary
Without approximations, the integral blows up. Why?
I encountered a problem when calculating the Shapiro Delay for a radar signal from Earth to Venus on the other side of the sun. The integrand blows up at one of the integration limits, so I think that means the integral is infinite. So far, I have been unable to totally follow Zee’s (Einstein Gravity in a Nutshell) treatment, he glosses over it, and I think there might be some typos in there. But he does make an approximation at one point, which I did not do.

So I go back and review the successful calculation of the photon passing the sun (Eddington’s 1919 expedition, gravitational lensing, etc.) which turned out to be the same way Kevin Brown shows it (Reflections on Relativity). And sure enough, there is a similar approximation in that. I didn’t notice it at the time, but if I remove that approximation, then that integral also blows up.

Both approximations are “legitimate”, i.e., very small term(s) are ignored to facilitate the calculations. That does not seem right. Don’t we make approximations to help the math, but also to NOT significantly change the results? In both these cases, it looks like it is necessary to discard trivial factors in order to get correct results. I don’t think the Shapiro delay is actually infinite out here in the real world.

(1) Is the above correct? (2) If so, what is the explanation? Is our modelling, like the Schwarzschild metric, too simple or something? After all, the sun is not the only mass in the universe.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the specific integral and approximation, or a link?

I am in a coffee shop on my way to work, and I don't have Zee at hand, but

exmarine said:
The integrand blows up at one of the integration limits, so I think that means the integral is infinite.

is not necessarily true. For example,
$$\int_0^1 \ln x dx$$

(treated as an appropriate improper integral).

I will see if I can type it here.

1/(1-eps) = 1+eps
sqrt(1-eps)=1-eps/2-eps^2/8...

where ϵ is the ratio of the Schwarzschild radius over the radius of closest approach to the sun. Zee does at least the first approximation, and Brown (I think) did at least the second for the gravitational lensing.

Try to adopt Zee’s notation for my integral for the Shapiro case – for just the earth-sun leg:

(Hmmmm I thought there was a semi-visual latex editor in here? I am just too dang old to try to remember all those commands, Unix type stuff. I will have to attach a pdf file for my integral for the Shapiro case. Sorry!)

where (rs) is the Schwarzschild radius of the sun, (r0) is the closest approach to the sun, and (rE) is the earth’s distance from the sun. The quantity in the radical in the denominator goes to 0 at (r0).

Maybe it would be simpler to note that if (dr/dt) goes to zero at closest approach to the sun, then (1/(dr/dt)) goes to infinity at closest approach?

Attachments

• ShapiroDelay-Forum.pdf
    178.8 KB · Views: 183
exmarine said:
The integrand blows up at one of the integration limits

This happens in any situation where elapsed time is calculated between a "turning point" and some other point.

As an illustrative simple example, consider Newtonian gravity near the Earth's surface. Suppose a ball that is fired straight up from the Earth's surface reaches a maximum height of ##h##. How long does it take the ball to reach maximum height?

Let ##y## be the height above the Earth's surface. Mechanical energy is conserved so

##k = \frac{1}{2} m \left( \frac{dy}{dt}\right)^2 + mgy,##

where ##k## is a constant and the zero for gravitational potential energy has been take to the surface of the Earth.

At maximum height, ##y=h##, and speed equals zero, so ##k = mgh##.

Using this in the above and rearranging gives the elapsed time

##\Delta t = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2g}} \int_0^h \frac{dy}{\sqrt{h - y}}.##

Note that the integrand is infinite at one of the limits of integration (the turning point).

In this case (unlike Zee's case), the integration can be expressed in closed form giving

##\Delta t = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2g}} \left[-2\sqrt{h-y} \right]_0^h = \sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}},##

which is the same result that constant acceleration kinematics gives.

In Zee's case, there isn't a closed form for the the integration, so Zee makes an approximation that does two things: 1) has a negligible effect on the answer; 2) removes the singularity at the turning point.

Likes PeterDonis, exmarine, PAllen and 1 other person
Thanks!

1. What is the Shapiro Delay Problem?

The Shapiro Delay Problem is a phenomenon in which the time it takes for a radio signal to travel through a gravitational field is longer than the time it would take in a vacuum. This was first predicted by physicist Irwin Shapiro in 1964 and has since been confirmed through various experiments.

2. Why is it important to solve the Shapiro Delay Problem?

The Shapiro Delay Problem is important because it provides evidence for the existence of gravitational fields and the effects they have on the propagation of light. It also has practical applications in space navigation and can help improve our understanding of the universe.

3. What are some approximations used to solve the Shapiro Delay Problem?

Some common approximations used to solve the Shapiro Delay Problem include the weak-field approximation, the small-angle approximation, and the stationary-phase approximation. These approximations simplify the complex equations involved in the problem and make it easier to find a solution.

4. How accurate are the solutions obtained through approximations?

The accuracy of the solutions obtained through approximations depends on the specific approximation used and the parameters of the problem. In general, the solutions are accurate enough for practical applications, but may not be precise enough for more advanced scientific studies.

5. Are there any challenges in solving the Shapiro Delay Problem?

Yes, there are several challenges in solving the Shapiro Delay Problem. One of the main challenges is the complexity of the equations involved, which can be difficult to solve analytically. Another challenge is the need to account for various factors such as the velocity and position of the source and the observer, as well as the shape of the gravitational field. Additionally, the accuracy of the solutions can be affected by the accuracy of the approximations used.