Solving Simple Harmonic Motion Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations to solve a problem involving a graph. The first equation, a=-(omega)^2.x is used to find the value of omega, which is then substituted into the second equation, T=2.pie/omega, to find the value of T. The third equation, Vmax=omega.A, is mentioned but the amplitude cannot be determined. The individual asks for confirmation on their solution and apologizes for potentially posting in the wrong section.
kandyfloss

Homework Statement

Please find the question in the attachment,i've attached it because it includes a graph

Homework Equations

a=-(omega)^2.x
T=2.pie/omega
Vmax=omega.A

The Attempt at a Solution

for part b i used the first equation a=-(omega)^2.x to find omega and then substituted the value of omega in the second equation mentioned above.
a=-(omega)^2.x
omega=*sqrt*a/x
omega = 1.5/10
omega=0.39
and thus T=1.6 m/s
Please tell me if I'm right so far?
for part c
i can use the third eq but i can't figure out how to find the amplitude?

Attachments

• IMG00267-20100428-1228.jpg
    IMG00267-20100428-1228.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org
i think this question should be in introductory physics section..
apologies!
Mods please move this :)

Related to Solving Simple Harmonic Motion Homework

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a body moves back and forth around an equilibrium point with a constant frequency. This type of motion can be seen in objects such as a pendulum, a mass on a spring, or a vibrating guitar string.

2. How do you solve simple harmonic motion problems?

To solve simple harmonic motion problems, you need to use the equation x = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement of the object, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the initial phase. You can also use the conservation of energy or the equation of motion to solve these problems.

3. What is the period of simple harmonic motion?

The period of simple harmonic motion is the time it takes for the object to complete one full cycle of its motion. It is represented by the symbol T and is calculated by T = 2π/ω, where ω is the angular frequency.

4. How does mass affect simple harmonic motion?

The mass of an object does not affect the frequency or period of simple harmonic motion. However, it does affect the amplitude of the motion. A larger mass will have a smaller amplitude, while a smaller mass will have a larger amplitude.

5. What is the relationship between simple harmonic motion and circular motion?

Simple harmonic motion and circular motion are related through the concept of uniform circular motion. In uniform circular motion, the acceleration is directed towards the center of the circle, while in simple harmonic motion, the acceleration is directed towards the equilibrium point. Both types of motion have a constant frequency and can be described using trigonometric functions.