Solving Spherical and Cylindrical Capacitors for Inner Radii

In summary, the conversation discusses two homework problems which require solving for the capacitance of a capacitor for the inner radius, one cylindrical and one spherical. The equations for both are provided and the individual's attempts at solving them are discussed. After some confusion and double checking, it is determined that the cylindrical equation was solved correctly but the spherical one is still giving issues due to a possible missing minus sign in the algebra.
meph11

Homework Statement

I have two homework problems, both of which require me to solve the equation for the capacitance of a capacitor for the inner radius of the capacitor (one cylindrical, one spherical). This shouldn't be a problem, but I think my algebra is screwy.
a = inner radius
b = outer radius
C = capacitance
h = height of capacitor

Homework Equations

Capacitance of a Spherical Capacitor:
(i) C=4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex]ab / (b-a)

Capacitance of a Cylindrical Capacitor:
(ii) C=2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex]h / ln(b/a)

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempts at solving these for a are as follows:
(i) a = b*C / (C + 4*[tex]\pi[/tex]*[tex]\epsilon[/tex]*b)
(ii) a = b / e[tex]^{(2*\pi*\epsilon*h / C)}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Both are correctly derived!
What is the h in the spherical formula?

The equations are solved for a correctly?

There is no h in the spherical formula.

meph11 said:
Capacitance of a Spherical Capacitor:
(ii) C=2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex]h / ln(b/a)

(ii) a = b / e[tex]^{(2*\pi*\epsilon*h / C)}[/tex]

An h is showing in each formula on my screen. Just before "/ ln(b/a)" in the first formula.

whoops, i had them labeled wrong. (i) is the capacitance of a spherical capacitor, and (ii) is the capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor. h is the height of the capacitor. Hm, I must be entering values into my calculator incorrectly... rechecking now.

Yeah, I solved the cylindrical one (ii) correctly, I just just plugging values in incorrectly.

The spherical one is still giving me issues though, I'm getting

a = b + (C / (4 * Pi * E)), which means that a will always be greater than b, an impossible situation when a is the inner radius. So I think that somewhere I've got my algebra wrong, specifically a minus sign missing somewhere.

1. How do you solve for the capacitance of a spherical capacitor given its inner radius?

To solve for the capacitance of a spherical capacitor, you can use the formula C = 4πε₀r, where C is the capacitance, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and r is the inner radius of the capacitor. Simply plug in the values and solve for C.

2. What is the relationship between the capacitance and the inner radius of a cylindrical capacitor?

The capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor is directly proportional to the inner radius. This means that as the inner radius increases, the capacitance also increases. This relationship is described by the formula C = 2πε₀l / ln(b/a), where C is the capacitance, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, l is the length of the capacitor, b is the outer radius, and a is the inner radius.

3. Can the inner radius of a spherical or cylindrical capacitor be equal to zero?

No, the inner radius of a spherical or cylindrical capacitor cannot be equal to zero. This is because a capacitor requires two conductive plates or spheres with a gap in between to store electric charge and create a potential difference. If the inner radius is zero, there would be no separation between the plates or spheres, and the capacitor would not function.

4. How do you solve for the electric field between the plates or spheres of a spherical or cylindrical capacitor?

To solve for the electric field between the plates or spheres of a spherical or cylindrical capacitor, you can use the formula E = Q / (4πε₀r²), where E is the electric field, Q is the charge on one of the plates or spheres, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance between the plates or spheres. Plug in the values and solve for E.

5. What is the difference between a spherical and a cylindrical capacitor?

The main difference between a spherical and a cylindrical capacitor is their shape. A spherical capacitor consists of two concentric spheres, while a cylindrical capacitor has two parallel cylindrical plates. Additionally, the formula for calculating the capacitance and electric field is different for each type of capacitor. However, both capacitors function in a similar way by storing electric charge and creating a potential difference between the plates or spheres.