Solving Strange Derivative: Find (df/dt)(0)

In summary, the problem the person is having is that they can't get x(t) and y(t) which is necessary to find df/dt(0). They suggest doing the derivatives along the way to get rid of the x and y variables, but this is not valid because the final derivative will be evaluated at t=0, which is when the variables have been eliminated.
Lancelot59
I'm given these functions:
[tex]f(x,y)=x^{3}y[/tex]
[tex]ye^{y}=t[/tex]
[tex]x^{3}+tx=8[/tex]

I need to find (df/dt)(0)

I have no clue how to go about this. I can't isolate any of the variables. I tried making an implicit function out of equations two and three, but that didn't lead anywhere useful.

I'm stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried making an implicit function out of equations two and three, but that didn't lead anywhere useful.

If you have done this, then try the chain rule (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_rule) but use partial derivatives.

if you have [tex]x(t)[/tex] and [tex]y(t)[/tex] then [tex]\frac{df}{dt}[/tex] can be found by

[tex]\frac{df}{dt}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}[/tex]

Last edited:
adoado said:
If you have done this, then try the chain rule (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_rule) but use partial derivatives.

How does that help?

[tex]x^{3}+(ye^{y})x=8[/tex]

I don't see how this relates to the original function.

EDIT: Sorry, I posted before you edited. Let me give that a go.

The issue is that I can't get x(t) and y(t). I can only get t(x) and t(y) which isn't too useful.

Last edited:
Hmm... you can still get x'(t) and y'(t) by differentiating implicitly t(x) and t(y), but you will be left with derivatives still partially in terms of x and y...

Edit: I am not sure if this is valid, but as you are evaluating the final derivative at t=0, why not do it to all the partial derivatives along the way, hence removing the other variables?

adoado said:
Hmm... you can still get x'(t) and y'(t) by differentiating implicitly t(x) and t(y), but you will be left with derivatives still partially in terms of x and y...

Edit: I am not sure if this is valid, but as you are evaluating the final derivative at t=0, why not do it to all the partial derivatives along the way, hence removing the other variables?

Sorry, I'm not following along with this.

This is relatively simple, to find x at t=0, set t=o to fint x^{3}=3=> x=2 at t=0, likewise y=0 at t=0, then differentiate as usual. Not so hard...

I guess I need more help with derivatives. I'll talk to my prof. Thanks for the help.

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. In other words, it tells us how much a function is changing at a given point.

Why is it important to find the derivative?

Finding the derivative is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and make predictions about its future values. It also helps us solve optimization problems and understand the slope of a curve at a specific point.

How do you solve a strange derivative?

To solve a strange derivative, we use the same rules and techniques as we would for a regular derivative. This includes the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. We also use the limit definition of a derivative to find the derivative at a specific point.

What is the purpose of finding (df/dt)(0)?

Finding (df/dt)(0) allows us to determine the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point, t=0. It can also help us find the slope of a tangent line to the curve at that point, and make predictions about the behavior of the function near that point.

Are there any real-world applications for solving strange derivatives?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for solving strange derivatives. For example, in physics, derivatives are used to calculate velocity and acceleration of objects. In economics, derivatives are used to analyze market trends and make predictions. In engineering, derivatives are used to optimize designs and improve efficiency.