Solve Triangle: b=1, c=√3+1, B=15°

• Thread starter msdenise15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the conversation discusses using the law of sin to solve a triangle with given values for b, c, and B. The formulas for the law of sin and cosine were mentioned, and the attempt at a solution involved using the law of sin to find angle C. It was suggested to take the arcsine to get the correct answer.
msdenise15

Homework Statement

use the information to solve the triangle: b=1, c=the square root of (3)+1, B=15 degrees.
given that sin15 degrees =the square root of 6 -the square root of 2 divided by 4. FYI.. is in the square root and than add one.

Homework Equations

The formulas given the law of sin sinA/a=sinB/b=sinC/c
The law cosine

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the law of sin to find angle C. The problem is written out as the square root of (3)+1 Sin(15)/1. I came out with .70 degrees for angle c. For some reason I can't get that answer again. Also I'm not sure which formula I should be using.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well using the sine rule, we get [tex] \frac{\sin 15*}{1} = \frac{\sin C}{\sqrt{3}+1}[/tex].

The * I used to denote degrees. Anyway, to get the angle C, we must get Sin C by itself on one side. Once you do that, simplify the Sin 15 degrees from what it gave you in the question, and also take out a factor of sqrt2 from it. Then it should simplify very nicely, you shouldn't even need a calculator for it. You get some nice common angle, not 0.70 degrees.

msdenise15, you forgot to take the arcsine! What you calculated was that sin(C)= .707..= sqrt(2)/2. And, as Gibz said, that's a "well known" angle.

1. How do I solve for the missing side of a triangle with known angles and one side length?

To solve for the missing side, we can use the law of sines or the law of cosines. In this case, we can use the law of sines since we have a known angle and the corresponding side. We can set up the ratio b/sinB = c/sinC and solve for b by plugging in the known values.

2. What is the value of side b in this particular triangle?

In this specific triangle, the value of side b is approximately 1.732 (square root of 3) units. This can be calculated by plugging in the given values into the law of sines equation: b/sin15 = (√3+1)/sinC. We can then solve for b by multiplying both sides by sin15 and dividing by sinC.

3. Can I use the law of cosines to solve this triangle?

Yes, the law of cosines can also be used to solve this triangle. However, since we have a known angle and the corresponding side, it is easier to use the law of sines in this case. The law of cosines is typically used when we have two known sides and the angle between them.

4. How many solutions are possible for this triangle?

There can only be one solution for this triangle, given the information provided. This is because we have a known angle of 15 degrees and the corresponding side length, which uniquely determines the triangle.

5. Is there a general formula for solving triangles with known angles and one side length?

Yes, there is a general formula for solving triangles with known angles and one side length. It is known as the law of sines and can be written as a/sinA = b/sinB = c/sinC, where a, b, and c are the side lengths and A, B, and C are the corresponding angles. This formula can be used to solve any triangle with these given conditions.