Solving Two Difficult Homework Probs: Help Needed!

• Thread starter helloeveryone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems, one involving the mass percentage of propane in a sample and the other involving balancing an equation in basic solution. The first problem is solved by converting the mass of CO2 to moles and using a system of equations to find the mass percentage. The second problem is solved by balancing the equation 2Cr3+ + 3O22- + 4OH- -> 2CrO42- + 2H2O, despite the discrepancy in the sum of coefficients.
helloeveryone

Homework Statement

Really appreciate helps from anyone, these two probs hurt my head
1. Complete combustion of a 4.10g sample containing only propane (C3H5) and pentane (C5H12), yielded 12.42g CO2 and 6.35g H2O. What is the mass % propane in this sample?
a.4.50% b.38.0% c. 50.0% d.80.0% e.30.0%

2. Balance the following equation in basic solution:
Cr^(3+) + O2^(2-) = CrO4^(2-)
the sum of the coefficients is:
a.38 b.27 c.53 d.18 e.49

Homework Equations

C3H5 + (17/4)O2 = 3CO2 +(5/2)H2O
C5H12 + 8 O2 = 5CO2 + 6H2O

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first prob, i tried to put x is the mole of C3H5 and y is the mole of C5H12. Then i have sum of their mass equal 4.10g. On other part, i have the moles of CO2 from two equation as the factor of x and y, and then get the sum of them equal 12.42g. I solved the equation systems but get the x is negative? not sure what i did wrong? If anyone know please tell me, otherwise i think the problem author gave the wrong information.
For the second prob, nothin i can do, i don't know if O2 is reduction or oxidation agent, don't even think O2^(2-) even exists, but my instructor seems pretty sure that equation can be balanced. Very thankful for the help from anyone.

Physics news on Phys.org

First you need one correct and balanced equation with integer coefficients. That propane needs to be C3H8
The left side will have propane and pentane with O2 and the equation will be much easier to work with.

Your first equation with x and y is good. For the other, convert that mass of CO2 to moles first so you're working with just moles. Then solve the system of equations and convert the moles x and y to masses to calculate the % by mass. Haven't done it myself but it looks like you're on the right track.

Can't help you with the other question, but O22- exists and it is the peroxide ion.

Last edited:

propane is C3H8! Damn! 2 hours hitting my head with this prob for nothin until now, i should have learned in heart those shameful, ridisculous organic names. thanks bohrok.
i figured out balanced equation for #2 is 4(OH)^- + 2Cr^(3+) + 3O2^(2-) = 2CrO4^(2-) + 2H2O. but 4 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 2 = 13 for coefficient, not in multiple choices? i guess the author this prob has some trouble with adding... or maybe just me -_-
If anyone points out the wrongness in my balance, very thankful!

What is O22-? Such ion is present in some ionic oxides, but not in solutions.

2Cr3+ + 3O22- + 4OH- -> 2CrO42- + 2H2O

is correct, and 13 it is.

1. How do I approach solving difficult homework problems?

The first step in solving difficult homework problems is to read the problem carefully and make sure you understand what is being asked. Then, break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. Use any given information and equations to help guide your approach. If you are still stuck, try looking for similar problems in your textbook or online to get a better understanding of the concept.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving difficult homework problems?

One common mistake is rushing through the problem without fully understanding it. Another mistake is not showing your work and skipping steps. Make sure to write out each step and check your work as you go. Additionally, avoid using incorrect formulas or equations, as this can lead to incorrect solutions.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for difficult homework problems?

Practice, practice, practice! The more problems you solve, the more familiar you will become with different techniques and approaches. Additionally, make sure to seek help from your teacher or classmates if you are struggling with a particular concept. They may be able to offer a different perspective or explain the problem in a way that makes more sense to you.

4. How can I manage my time effectively when solving difficult homework problems?

One strategy is to break up the problem into smaller chunks and set a time limit for each part. This will help you stay on track and ensure that you do not spend too much time on one aspect of the problem. You can also try setting a timer for yourself and taking short breaks in between each section to stay focused.

5. What resources are available to help me solve difficult homework problems?

Aside from your textbook and teacher, there are many online resources available to help you with difficult homework problems. These can include instructional videos, practice problems with step-by-step solutions, and online forums where you can ask for help from other students or educators. It can also be helpful to form study groups with classmates to work through problems together.