Calculating Speed and Angular Momentum | Physics Forums Discussion

• Thread starter bobie
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating speed and angular momentum in a physics forum post. The problem involves two equations and the given values for mass, length, and moment of inertia. The attempted solution involves finding the value of x, which is then used to calculate the final speed. However, the last term in the equation for v_f^2 is incorrect and should be -440/6 instead of -440. This leads to a final value of x = 20.3.
bobie
Gold Member

Homework Statement

this is not homework, I am discussing angular momentum here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...d-angular-momentum.776258/page-2#post-4884631, we have 2 equations$$\frac{i \omega _0^2}{2}+\frac{m v_i^2}{2}=\frac{I \omega _1^2}{2}+\frac{m
v_f^2}{2}$$
## I \omega _0+m r v_0=~I \omega _1+m r v_1 ##
## ~M=10,~m=1,~l=1, ~I=\frac{[l^2] M = 10}{12},~r=\frac{l}{2} = 0.5,~v_i=22,~\omega _0=0, ~\omega_1 = x##

Homework Equations

$$\frac{m v_i^2}{2}=\frac{I \omega ^2}{2}+\frac{m
v_f^2}{2} \rightarrow v_f^2 = (v_i^2= ~22^2) = 484 - \frac{5}{6}\omega^2 $$
## m r v_i= ~I \omega +m r v_f \rightarrow v_f = 22 - \frac{10}{6}\omega##

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is simple, but I get a funny result. I tried hundreds of times with different approaches to no avail; can you tell me where I go wrong, or if the problem has no solution?
## v_f = 22 - \frac{10}{6}\omega → v_f^2 = 22^2 + \frac{10^2}{6^2} \omega^2 + \frac{2*22*-10}{6}\omega ##
## v_f^2 = 484 + \frac{100}{36} \omega^2 - \frac{440}{6}\omega ##
plugging in the first equation:

## (v_f^2 = ) ~484 - \frac{5}{6}x^2 = 484 + \frac{100}{36} x^2 - \frac{440}{6}x \rightarrow - \frac{30}{36}x^2 = \frac{100}{36}x^2 - \frac{6*440}{36}x = 130x^2 = 2640 x ##
## x= 2640/130 = 20.3 ##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bobie said:
$$ v_f^2 = (v_i^2= ~22^2) = 484 - \frac{5}{6}\omega^2 $$
Check that last term.

What is the difference between speed and angular momentum?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while angular momentum is a measure of how much an object is rotating or spinning. Speed is a scalar quantity, while angular momentum is a vector quantity.

How do you calculate speed?

Speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes to travel that distance. The formula for speed is speed = distance/time.

How do you calculate angular momentum?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia by the angular velocity. The formula for angular momentum is angular momentum = moment of inertia x angular velocity.

What units are used to measure speed and angular momentum?

Speed is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or miles per hour. Angular momentum is typically measured in units of mass times distance squared per time, such as kilogram meters squared per second.

How can I use speed and angular momentum in real-world situations?

Speed and angular momentum are important concepts in many fields, including physics, engineering, and sports. They are used to understand and predict the motion of objects, such as the speed of a moving car or the angular momentum of a spinning top. They are also used in the design and analysis of machines and structures, such as calculating the speed and angular momentum of a rotating turbine. In sports, speed and angular momentum are used to analyze the performance of athletes and equipment, such as calculating the speed of a baseball pitch or the angular momentum of a figure skater's spin.