How Does the Commutator [p-hat_x, H-hat] Reveal Quantum Mechanics Fundamentals?

In summary, by considering the action of [p-hat (subscript x), H-hat] on a general state, it can be shown that [p-hat (subscript x), H-hat] = -ihbar dV/dx. This is achieved by using the definition of the commutator and considering the derivative of a constant to be zero.
blueyellow

Homework Statement

by considering the action of [p-hat (subscript x), H-hat] on a general state, show that

[p-hat (subscript x), H-hat] =-ihbar dV/dx

Homework Equations

H-hat = (((p-hat)^2)/2m) +V(x)

p-hat (subscript x)= -i*h d/dx (partial derivative)

The Attempt at a Solution

tried lookin it up couldn't find anything

Physics news on Phys.org
It's right in front of you. Two hints:

1. What is the definition of the commutator of two operators? In other words, how would I write out [A, B]?

2. What is the derivative of a constant?

so the commutator is AB-BA

so it equals
i*h-bar d/dx(((p-hat)^2)/2m)+V(x)) -(((p-hat)^2)/2m)+V(x)) i*h-bar d/dx
=-ih-bar dV/dx ...
but why does -(((p-hat)^2)/2m)+V(x)) i*h-bar d/dx go to nothing? what do i do please, if the i*h-bar d/dx is put after the hamiltonian?

Last edited by a moderator:
what do i do please, if the i*h-bar d/dx is put after the hamiltonian?

In that case, you consider the derivative to be operating on 1 -- in other words d/dx = d/dx(1) = 0. So in the commutator, the only piece that doesn't vanish is the piece that features d/dx operating on a function of x -- which gives you -ih-bar dV/dx.

Based on the given information, it appears that the homework question is asking you to show that the commutator of the x-component of momentum operator (p-hat (subscript x)) and the Hamiltonian operator (H-hat) is equal to -ihbar times the partial derivative of the potential energy function with respect to position (dV/dx). This is a well-known result in quantum mechanics and is related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

To show this, you can start by considering the action of the commutator [p-hat (subscript x), H-hat] on a general state |ψ>. This can be written as:

[p-hat (subscript x), H-hat] |ψ> = (p-hat (subscript x)H-hat - H-hat p-hat (subscript x))|ψ>

Using the definitions of p-hat (subscript x) and H-hat given in the problem statement, we can rewrite this as:

[p-hat (subscript x), H-hat] |ψ> = (-ih d/dx)(((p-hat)^2)/2m)|ψ> + V(x)(-ih d/dx)|ψ> - (-ih d/dx)(V(x)|ψ>)

Expanding the terms and rearranging, we get:

[p-hat (subscript x), H-hat] |ψ> = (-ih/2m)(p-hat)^2d/dx|ψ> + V'(x) (-ih d/dx)|ψ> - (-ih d/dx)(V(x)|ψ>)

where V'(x) represents the derivative of the potential energy function V(x) with respect to position x.

Now, using the commutator relation [p-hat, (p-hat)^2] = 2p-hat, we can simplify the first term as:

(-ih/2m)(p-hat)^2d/dx|ψ> = (-ih/2m)(2p-hat)d/dx|ψ> = (-ih/m)p-hat d/dx|ψ>

Substituting this back into our original equation, we get:

[p-hat (subscript x), H-hat] |ψ> = (-ih/m)p-hat d/dx|ψ> + V'(x

Related to How Does the Commutator [p-hat_x, H-hat] Reveal Quantum Mechanics Fundamentals?

1. What is a commutator in quantum physics?

A commutator is a mathematical operator used to determine the order in which two quantum operators act on a system. It is defined as the difference between the product of the two operators and the product of the same operators in reverse order.

2. Why is the commutator important in quantum physics?

The commutator is important because it is used to determine the uncertainty between two observables in quantum mechanics. It also helps in understanding the relationship between different physical quantities and how they affect each other.

3. How is the commutator calculated?

The commutator is calculated by taking the product of the two operators and subtracting the product of the same operators in reverse order. The commutator is represented by the symbol [A, B] where A and B are the two operators being compared.

4. What is the physical interpretation of the commutator?

The physical interpretation of the commutator is that it determines the compatibility of two observables in quantum mechanics. If the commutator is equal to zero, then the two observables can be measured simultaneously with high precision. If the commutator is non-zero, then there is uncertainty in the measurement of the two observables.

5. How does the commutator relate to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

The commutator is directly related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. The uncertainty principle states that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties can be known simultaneously. The commutator is used to calculate this uncertainty and shows that the more two operators do not commute, the greater the uncertainty between the two observables.