How Can I Solve These Precalculus Problems Involving Angles?

You are not allowed to post another thread until you have read the rules and agreed to follow them. You can start by reading the rules and guidelines at the top of this forum.In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help for their precalculus exam by posting example problems and asking for step-by-step explanations. They are reminded to start seeking help earlier and are provided with a formula for solving problems involving triangles. The conversation is then ended due to a violation of forum rules.
mathopressor
Hello to all i am new to this thread and i have a precalculus exam tomorrow. I was going to post 4 or 5 example
problems that i have and wanted to know if someone could explain to me how to get the answer step by step.
I need to use these explanations as a help guide and as long as its step by step i can understand them
better. thank you very much in advance for those who can help me.

i need some help with these type of problems it deals with angles I am lost please could someone explain with as much detail as possible.

1.) in traingle ABC , B =65(degrees) C=45(degrees) and c = 12 what is the measure of side b?(two decimal places)

2.) in traingle ABC , B =90(degrees) C=30(degrees) and c = 15 what is the exact measure of side b?

3.) in traingle ABC , A =45(degrees) B=60(degrees) and a = 9 .side b to the nearest hundredth?

4.) in traingle ABC , a =10 b=20 and c = 13 what is the measure of side B to the nearest 10th degree?

Physics news on Phys.org
mathopressor said:
Hello to all i am new to this thread and i have a precalculus exam tomorrow. I was going to post 4 or 5 example
problems that i have and wanted to know if someone could explain to me how to get the answer step by step.
I need to use these explanations as a help guide and as long as its step by step i can understand them
better. thank you very much in advance for those who can help me.

i need some help with these type of problems it deals with angles I am lost please could someone explain with as much detail as possible.

You need to start getting help for your exam earlier than the day before! On this forum we aren't allowed to just provide solutions.. What we can do however is help you along wherever you get stuck.
mathopressor said:
1.) in traingle ABC , B =65(degrees) C=45(degrees) and c = 12 what is the measure of side b?(two decimal places)

2.) in traingle ABC , B =90(degrees) C=30(degrees) and c = 15 what is the exact measure of side b?

3.) in traingle ABC , A =45(degrees) B=60(degrees) and a = 9 .side b to the nearest hundredth?
For all of these problems, you want to use the sine rule:

[tex]\frac{a}{\sin{A}}=\frac{b}{\sin{B}}[/tex]

What this formula is saying is that if you have the 3 of the 4 properties of a triangle:
  1. length of one side (we'll call it a, but it doesn't have to be the 'a' in your triangles)
  2. the opposite angle to a which we denote A
  3. another side length b
  4. the opposite angle B

then you can use the formula to find the answer to the last property of the triangle that you need to find. For your first question

we will use the sine rule

[tex]\frac{b}{\sin{B}} = \frac{c}{\sin{C}}[/tex]

plugging in our values B, C and c, we get

[tex]\frac{b}{\sin{65^o}}=\frac{12}{\sin{45^o}}[/tex]

and now we need to solve for b. Can you finish this off? It's basically the same deal for the other 2 questions as well.

mathopressor said:
4.) in traingle ABC , a =10 b=20 and c = 13 what is the measure of side B to the nearest 10th degree?

You need to use the cosine rule for this one.

[tex]a^2=b^2+c^2-2bc\cdot\cos{A}[/tex]

but we need to find the value of an angle, so we need to make [itex]\cos{A}[/itex] the subject of this formula:

[tex]a^2-b^2-c^2=-2bc\cdot\cos{A}[/tex]

[tex]\cos{A}=\frac{a^2-b^2-c^2}{-2bc}[/tex]

[tex]\cos{A}=\frac{b^2+c^2-a^2}{2bc}[/tex]

now you just need to plug in the values, but notice that this formula is finding [itex]A[/itex] while you are looking for the angle B, so you could swap the a's for the b's (because the letters in these formulae are arbitrary, all you need to keep consistent is the lowercase letter side length with its uppercase letter opposite angle). So

[tex]\cos{B} = \frac{a^2+c^2-b^2}{2ac}[/tex]

mathopressor,
Read your private mail. You have already received one warning for posting a thread without showing any work. This is a violation of Physics Forums rules, the rules you agreed to follow when you opened your account.

I am closing this thread.

1. What is "Some more study material"?

"Some more study material" refers to additional resources or materials that can be used to enhance and supplement learning and understanding of a particular subject or topic.

2. How can "Some more study material" benefit me as a student?

"Some more study material" can provide a different perspective or approach to learning, help clarify difficult concepts, and provide more practice opportunities, ultimately improving understanding and retention of the subject matter.

3. Where can I find "Some more study material"?

"Some more study material" can be found in various places such as online resources, textbooks, study guides, and supplementary materials provided by your teacher or professor.

4. Can "Some more study material" replace regular studying and lectures?

No, "Some more study material" should not replace regular studying and lectures. It should be used in addition to these methods to further enhance understanding and learning.

5. How can I effectively use "Some more study material"?

The best way to use "Some more study material" is to first identify areas or topics that you are struggling with and then find relevant materials to supplement your learning. It is also important to actively engage with the material by taking notes, practicing problems, and seeking clarification when needed.