Some questions about heterogenic catalysis

• Thread starter agargento
  • Start date
Therefore, the catalytic converter does not specifically target the CO reaction, but rather promotes multiple reactions simultaneously.
agargento

Homework Statement

1. Do the molecules "seek" specific spots on the surface?

2. The main challange in making ammonia is getting over the reaction barrier for N and H.

3. As the temperature rises the mobility of the molecules on the surface increases.

4. The catalytic converter in cars lowers the barrier for the reaction CO -> C + O

Thanks!

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm not sure about my answers. Keep in mind the answers are super-general and are true\false statements, and there's no need to go into much depth. I couldn't find any source for most of these so this is why I'm asking for guidance here. Thanks!

1. From what I understood - yes. They go to spots where they are not bonded to strong to the surface but also not too weak to it.

2. I think this statement is false. the main barrier is breaking the N2 bond and not getting N and H to react.

3. I think this is correct, doesn't need much explanation.

4. This one I'm unsure - is it correct or does the converter lowers the barrier for breaking the O2 ?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. This statement is partially correct. Molecules do have a tendency to bond to specific spots on a surface, but this is not the only factor that determines their location. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and surface chemistry also play a role.

2. This statement is partially correct. While breaking the N2 bond is a major challenge in ammonia synthesis, getting N and H to react is also a significant barrier. This is because the reaction is highly exothermic and requires precise control to prevent the formation of unwanted byproducts.

3. This statement is correct. As temperature increases, the kinetic energy of the molecules also increases, allowing them to move more freely on the surface.

4. This statement is partially correct. While the catalytic converter does lower the barrier for the reaction of CO to form C and O, it also lowers the barrier for other reactions, such as the oxidation of CO to CO2.

1. What is heterogenic catalysis?

Heterogenic catalysis is a type of catalysis in which the catalyst and the reactants are in different phases, usually solid and gas or liquid. This means that the catalyst is not dissolved in the reactant and can be easily separated from the products after the reaction.

2. What is the difference between heterogenic and homogenous catalysis?

The key difference between heterogenic and homogenous catalysis is the phase of the catalyst in relation to the reactants. In heterogenic catalysis, the catalyst and reactants are in different phases, while in homogenous catalysis, the catalyst is in the same phase as the reactants.

3. What are some examples of heterogenic catalysts?

Some common examples of heterogenic catalysts include metal oxides (such as titanium dioxide), zeolites, and metal nanoparticles. These catalysts are often used in industrial processes such as the production of chemicals and fuels.

4. How does heterogenic catalysis work?

In heterogenic catalysis, the reactants are adsorbed onto the surface of the catalyst, where the reaction takes place. The catalyst provides a surface for the reaction to occur, and also lowers the activation energy required for the reaction to take place, making it more efficient.

5. What are the advantages of heterogenic catalysis?

Heterogenic catalysis offers several advantages over homogenous catalysis. These include easier separation and reuse of the catalyst, as well as the ability to use different phases for the reactants and the catalyst, allowing for a wider range of reactions to occur.