Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction for the mass on the surface

In summary, the mass slides down an inclined plane at a speed of 2.23 m/s. It stops a distance of 1.85 m from the level part of the slide. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the mass and the slide is 0.59.
Angeluzmaia
I need help with a physics problem, if someone could help me with the fomula, please.

When mass M is at the position shown, it is sliding down the inclined part of a slide at a speed of 2.23 m/s. The mass stops a distance S2 = 1.85 m along the level part of the slide. The distance S1 = 1.14 m and the angle theta = 29.3 degrees. Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction for the mass on the surface.

fisicaCAPA.gif

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show your work first.
If you haven't done any work, post your thoughts about how to deal with the problem, or why you are uncertain about it.

I got this formula that a friend told me

h=S*sen (theta)

Is that what your thinking has amounted to??
Wheedling a formula out of a friend, and not bothering to work on the problem yourself??

I've been trying but I can't find it

You start writing down in detail what you've DONE, and precisely where you're stuck!
Is that clear?
By refusing to do so, you come off like someone who just wants others to do their homework for them; if that's what you want, go somewhere else.

ok, I didn't come here for you to insult me,
I don't understand what I have to do, I'm not very good at physics right now
I just want you to help me, explain me, because my proffesor doesn't explain the exercises, not do my homework
but you know what, I'm really tired cause I took a test today and it was very long
I don't have to hear your insults, so don't help me, I'll find someone who can be really helpful, and isn't insulting me

arildno said:
Show your work first.
If you haven't done any work, post your thoughts about how to deal with the problem, or why you are uncertain about it.
Is this insulting?
You could start enumerate the equations you think might possibly be of use; that's the only way in which you will learn physics.

Angeluzmaia, the only way you can learn is by solving problems by yourself, arildno is just trying to clarify concepts, you might had misunderstood. Also, read the textbook, and if you do not understand it, ask here, and we will gladly help out.

I have read, and I don't understand, also I'm tired and I have less than 6 hours to finish the exercises because their due date is at 7:00 am and I need to sleep because I have my physics test tomorrow and arildno was rude to me
and I don't know how I can do that exercise, was trying with finding the time it tooks to slide and multlipying by the angle, but still hasn't function

FAQ: Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction for the mass on the surface

1. What is the definition of coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in motion relative to each other. It is a dimensionless quantity that ranges from 0 to 1, with lower values indicating less friction and higher values indicating more friction.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. The force of kinetic friction can be determined by measuring the force needed to keep an object in motion at a constant speed, while the normal force is the perpendicular force exerted by one surface on another. The resulting value is the coefficient of kinetic friction.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by the types of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants. Additionally, the force pushing the two surfaces together and the speed of the object in motion can also impact the coefficient of kinetic friction.

4. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction differ from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is the measure of friction between two surfaces in motion, while the coefficient of static friction is the measure of friction between two surfaces at rest. This means that the coefficient of kinetic friction is typically lower than the coefficient of static friction, as it takes more force to overcome the initial static friction and get the object in motion.

5. What is the practical application of calculating the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is important in engineering and physics, as it is used to determine the amount of force required to keep an object in motion, as well as the energy lost to friction in mechanical systems. It is also used in designing and testing braking systems, as the higher the coefficient of kinetic friction, the more effective the brakes will be in stopping a moving object.

Back