What are the steps for reducing sound intensity by 20 decibels?

In summary, to reduce the intensity level by 20 decibels, a man standing 3m from a siren would have to move 30m according to the inverse square law. The equation 20 = 10 log(I/I0) is used to solve this problem, and simplifying it yields a distance of 30m.
ongobongo

Homework Statement

A man stands 3m from a siren. How far does he have to move to reduce the intensity level by 20 decibels?

Homework Equations

Intensity level = 10log(I/Io)
the inverse square law

The Attempt at a Solution

i know the answer is 30m because 10 times the distance drops the intensity by 20 dB although i don't understand how to use the equations to answer such a question, what are the steps involved

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi ongobongo! welcome to pf! :smile:

start with 20 = 10 log(I/I0) :wink:

hi thanks for the hint but honestly i can't make heads or tails of the equation

simplify 20 = 10 log(I/I0)

I=10*10
√100 = 10
10*3 = 30m

ongobongo said:
I=10*10
√100 = 10
10*3 = 30m

yeees … i think you've got it, but i can't really tell :redface:

shouldn't your proof have an I0 in it somewhere? and some reference to logs?

1. What is sound intensity reduction?

Sound intensity reduction is a measure of the decrease in sound energy as it travels through a medium, such as air. It is measured in decibels (dB) and represents how much quieter a sound becomes as it moves away from its source.

2. How does sound intensity reduction affect noise levels?

As sound travels through a medium, its intensity decreases due to factors such as distance and obstacles. This decrease in intensity results in a decrease in noise levels, making the sound quieter.

3. What factors contribute to sound intensity reduction?

The three main factors that contribute to sound intensity reduction are distance, spreading, and absorption. As sound travels further away from its source, its intensity decreases due to the spreading out of energy and absorption by the surrounding medium.

4. How is sound intensity reduction measured?

Sound intensity reduction is measured in decibels (dB) using a sound level meter. This device measures the sound pressure level (SPL) at a specific distance from the source and compares it to the reference sound pressure level of 0 dB.

5. What are some strategies for reducing sound intensity?

Some strategies for reducing sound intensity include using sound barriers, sound-absorbing materials, and distance from the source. These methods can help decrease the intensity of sound and reduce noise levels in a given area.