Intensities at different distances

• Thread starter Ethan_Tab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intensities
In summary, the decibel level for person B, who is 15 meters away, to match the intensity of sound from person A speaking at 1.5 meters and 25dB is 45dB. This is found by calculating the ratio Ia/Ib and using the formula ∆dB=10log(Ia/Ib).
Ethan_Tab

Homework Statement

Person A, who is 1.5 meters away from me is speaking to me at a decibel level of 25dB. How loud does person B, who is 15 meters away from me need to speak in decibels to submit me to the same intensity of sound?

Homework Equations

Ia/Ib=rb^2/ra^2
∆dB=10log(Ia/Ib)

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured I should start by figuring out the intensity of sound I would be experiencing if someone way 1.5m away from me and speaking at 25dB however, I can't seem to find a way to acount for the distance between me and person A. Any Ideas on how to start? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ethan_Tab said:

Homework Statement

Person A, who is 1.5 meters away from me is speaking to me at a decibel level of 25dB. How loud does person B, who is 15 meters away from me need to speak in decibels to submit me to the same intensity of sound?

Homework Equations

Ia/Ib=rb^2/ra^2
∆dB=10log(Ia/Ib)

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured I should start by figuring out the intensity of sound I would be experiencing if someone way 1.5m away from me and speaking at 25dB however, I can't seem to find a way to acount for the distance between me and person A. Any Ideas on how to start? Thanks.

Using your first equation, what is the ratio Ia/Ib for this problem? And using your 2nd equation, what is the ∆dB number? And given that the closer speaker is speaking at 25dB, what level does your result imply that the more distant speaker has to speak at? :smile:

Likes Ethan_Tab
So since the ratio Ia/Ib is 100 we can figure out the ∆dB level:

∆dB=10log(100)
=20

And since person B is farther away then person A is, he will have to speak louder then person A by a factor of 20 decibels.

Do I just add the two decibels now 20+25=45dB? Or do I have to convert both decibel levels to W/m^2, add them and then convert them back into dB which would give me a decibel level of 26.193dB.

Ethan_Tab said:
Do I just add the two decibels now 20+25=45dB?

Correct! :smile:

Likes Ethan_Tab

1. What is the relationship between intensity and distance?

The intensity of a source decreases as the distance from the source increases. This relationship is known as the inverse square law, which states that the intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

2. Does the intensity of a source decrease linearly with distance?

No, the intensity of a source does not decrease linearly with distance. As the distance increases, the decrease in intensity becomes more significant. For example, if the distance is doubled, the intensity decreases by a factor of four.

3. How does the intensity of a point source change with distance?

The intensity of a point source decreases as the distance increases. This decrease is due to the spreading of light over a larger area as it travels away from the source. Therefore, the intensity of a point source is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

4. What is the difference between intensity and irradiance?

Intensity refers to the total amount of light emitted by a source in a given direction, while irradiance refers to the amount of light that falls on a surface per unit area. Intensity is measured in watts per steradian (W/sr), while irradiance is measured in watts per square meter (W/m²).

5. How does the intensity of a source affect the amount of light received by an object?

The intensity of a source directly affects the amount of light received by an object. The higher the intensity of the source, the more light will be received by the object. However, this also depends on the distance between the source and the object, as the intensity decreases with distance according to the inverse square law.