1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Source Panel method for flow pressure distribution over cylinder

1. Feb 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Develop a source-panel computer program to numerically calculate the potential flow pressure distribution on a right circular cylinder with and without circulation.

1.) Tabulate and plot your numerical results for the pressure coefficient distribution on the cylinder together with the corresponding exact analytic solution as a function of the angular variable omega, measured clockwise from the negative x-axis to the center of panels, from 0-360 degrees. Tabulate the following results:
    i, omega, q, numerical Cp, theoretical Cp, % error.

2.) Do your calculations for the following values of circulation: K =[itex]\Gamma/\left(2\pi\right)[/itex] = 0, -1, -2, and -3. For K=0 do your calculations for N=4 and 250. For all other values of K, use only N=250.

sourcepanelpicture.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    w=omega
    Theoretical Cp=1-4*sin(w)^2
    w=(360/N)(i-0.5)
    θi= ARCtan((yi+1-yi)/(xi+1-xi))
    ζi=0.5(xi+xi+1)
    ηi=0.5(yi+yi+1)
    yi=sin(wi)
    xi=cos(wi)

U0sin(θi - α) =(qi)/2 - SUM^{N}_{j=1}qjcij j does NOT equal i
    cij=sin(θi-[itex]\Phi[/itex]ij)/2[itex]\pi[/itex]rijΔS
    rij=[(ζij)2+(ηij)2]1/2
    [itex]\Phiij[/itex]=ARCtan(ηji)/(ζji)
    Sorry but I am making some mistake with the complex symbol program on this forum.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have calculated i, ωi, ηi, ζi, xi, yi, θi for N=250. I can't find the j components of those needed.

Also I'm having trouble finding out the length of each panel. If a square was inside the unit circle, each length would be 1.414 right? But N=250 not 4.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted