Space Travel - Lorentz Transformation

In summary, Space ship Alpha travels at 4/5 c to the star Sirius which is 8.6 light years away, while spaceship Delta starts at 9/10 c and overtakes Alpha one year later. From Earth's perspective, Delta overtakes Alpha after 17.92 years for Alpha and 21.92 years for Delta. From Alpha's perspective, Delta overtakes Alpha after length contraction and from Delta's perspective, Delta overtakes Alpha by using the speed of the ship relative to the other. From Earth's perspective, Delta overtakes Alpha but there is length contraction involved.
Icheb
Space ship Alpha travels at t = 0 and v = 4/5 c to the star Sirius which is 8.6 light years away. One year later spaceship Delta starts at v = 9/10 c to the same star.

Question 1:
When does Delta overtake Alpha, as measured from Alpha's, Delta's and Earth's perspective?

Question 2:
At which distance to Earth (measured from Earth's system) does this happen?

Regarding 1:
For Earth's perspective I use [tex]\delta t = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}} * \delta t_0[/tex]. Using that I get to 17.92 years for Alpha and 21.92 years (plus an additional year because the ship left a year later) for Delta. This would mean that from Earth's perspective Delta never passes Alpha.
For Alpha's perspective I use length contraction for the 8.6 light years and then use v = s/t to get the time for 4/5 c and the shortened distance. For Delta's perspective I use the same approach.

Would this be correct so far?

Now my question is regarding Alpha's speed as seen from Delta's perspective and vice versa. Would I just use the speed of the ship relative to the other for this and then also include length contraction? I'm not quite sure how to do this otherwise.

Regarding 2:
From Earth's perspective Delta never overtakes Alpha. In the other systems I guess Delta would pass Alpha. But since there's length contraction involved how would I approach this? Would I just calculate where that point is relative to the entire distance (meaning in %) and then apply that to the distance as seen by Earth?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Icheb,

I think the speeds and distance measured in the problem are measured in Earth's frame of reference, so the times you find will not need to be transformed like you do in your post. Instead I think you'll find that Delta does overtake Alpha in Earth's frame of reference.

I can confirm that your approach to calculating the time for Delta to overtake Alpha from Earth's perspective is correct. However, you also need to take into consideration the time dilation effect for Delta due to its high velocity. This would result in a slightly longer time for Delta to overtake Alpha from Earth's perspective.

For Alpha's perspective, you are correct in using length contraction and the time dilation formula to calculate the time for Delta to overtake Alpha. For Delta's perspective, you would also need to take into account the length contraction and time dilation effects for Alpha. So both ships would see the other as moving slower and the distance between them as contracted.

In terms of calculating the speed of Alpha as seen from Delta's perspective and vice versa, you would indeed use the speed of one ship relative to the other and take into account length contraction. This would result in the speed being slightly different from what is seen from Earth's perspective.

For the second question, you could approach it by calculating the distance between the two ships at the point where Delta overtakes Alpha, and then using length contraction to determine the distance from Earth's perspective. This would give you the distance at which Delta overtakes Alpha as seen from Earth's perspective.

Overall, the Lorentz transformation is an important concept in understanding the effects of special relativity in space travel. It allows us to accurately calculate and understand the differences in time, distance, and speed between objects moving at high velocities.

1. What is the Lorentz Transformation in relation to space travel?

The Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical equation that describes how measurements of space and time change for an observer traveling at high speeds. It is a crucial concept in Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity and is used to calculate the effects of time dilation and length contraction on objects moving at near the speed of light.

2. How does the Lorentz Transformation affect space travel?

The Lorentz Transformation is essential in understanding the effects of time dilation and length contraction on objects moving at high speeds. This is crucial for space travel because as objects like spaceships approach the speed of light, their measurements of space and time will change, and their perception of time will differ from that of an observer on Earth.

3. Can the Lorentz Transformation be applied to all types of space travel?

Yes, the Lorentz Transformation can be applied to all types of space travel, including both manned and unmanned missions. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the effects of high-speed travel and is used in the calculations and engineering of spacecraft.

4. How does the Lorentz Transformation impact the concept of time in space travel?

The Lorentz Transformation shows that time is relative and can change based on an observer's speed. This means that time may pass differently for a person on a spaceship traveling at high speeds compared to someone on Earth. This effect is known as time dilation and is a crucial factor in planning and executing space missions.

5. Is the Lorentz Transformation the only equation used in space travel?

No, the Lorentz Transformation is not the only equation used in space travel. Other equations, such as Newton's laws of motion and Einstein's equations of general relativity, are also used in space travel to understand and calculate the effects of gravity and other forces on spacecraft. However, the Lorentz Transformation is a central concept in understanding the effects of high-speed travel and is used in many calculations related to space travel.