Spanning Sets in Vector Spaces

In summary, the statement is false. While a spanning set implies that all vectors in V can be expressed as a linear combination of the vectors in S, there may be more than one way to form a given vector, thus uniqueness is not guaranteed.
mlb2358

Homework Statement

True or False: If S is a spanning set for a vector space V, then every vector v in V must be uniquely expressible as a linear combination of the vectors in S.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For some reason, the answer to this question is false, although to me it seems like this is almost the definition of a spanning set. I am unsure about what the word "uniquely" means here, so maybe that is causing my confusion. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're onto it, but i'd go back to your definition of a spanning set. If it only requires that the set spans V and uniqueness is not required, then there may exist more than one way to form a given vector v, e.g. consider if your set had both (1,0,0) and (2,0,0) in it..

What is a spanning set in a vector space?

A spanning set in a vector space is a set of vectors that can be combined in various ways to create any other vector in the space. It is also known as a generating set or a set of generators.

Why is a spanning set important?

A spanning set is important because it allows us to describe the entire vector space using a smaller set of vectors. This can make calculations and proofs easier and more efficient.

How do you determine if a set of vectors is a spanning set?

To determine if a set of vectors is a spanning set, we need to check if every vector in the vector space can be written as a linear combination of the vectors in the set. If this is true, then the set is a spanning set.

Can a spanning set contain linearly dependent vectors?

Yes, a spanning set can contain linearly dependent vectors. However, in order to be a minimal spanning set, it must contain only linearly independent vectors.

Can a vector space have multiple spanning sets?

Yes, a vector space can have multiple spanning sets. In fact, any set of vectors that spans the vector space can be considered a spanning set. However, some spanning sets may be more useful or efficient for certain calculations or proofs.