Special Relativity Books: An Illustrated Guide & Beyond

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for a book on the math of special relativity for a non-physicist. The individual mentions starting with "An Illustrated Guide for Special Relativity" by Tatsu Takeuchi and asks for suggestions for a book after that. There is a suggestion for "It's About Time" by Mermin and "Spacetime Physics" by Taylor and Wheeler for a more mathematical treatment. The individual also mentions their own book, "SR" which may be at the appropriate level.
Zaid Ghazal
Hi there,
I am wondering what would be a good book to study the math of special relativity for a non physicist.
I started with the " An Illustrated Guide for Special Relativity" by Tatsu Takeuchi which I found nice and easy book to start with.
To put it in another way, where should I go after the above mentioned book?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This depends om exactly what you want to include, how far you want to go, and what your current knowledge is. In order to understand SR on an intermediate level, you only need basic vector and tensor analysis.

Thanks for the reply, I will be happy with the intermediate level. So any suggested books please ?

I like Takeuchi's treatment of kinematics, and have used the book for that purpose in a gen ed course that I taught, but IMO his treatment of dynamics is very poor, and there's also too little connection with experiment. At the same (low) mathematical level as Takeuchi, another book worth looking at is Mermin, It's About Time. I found it a little dry.

If you want to move up to a more mathematical treatment, Spacetime Physics by Taylor and Wheeler is pretty good. My own SR book http://lightandmatter.com/sr/ is also probably at about the level you want.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the purpose of "Special Relativity Books: An Illustrated Guide & Beyond"?

The purpose of "Special Relativity Books: An Illustrated Guide & Beyond" is to provide a comprehensive and visual guide to the concepts and principles of special relativity. It also delves into the applications and implications of this theory in various fields such as physics, astronomy, and cosmology.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in the field of special relativity?

Yes, "Special Relativity Books: An Illustrated Guide & Beyond" is written in a clear and accessible manner, making it suitable for beginners in the field. The use of illustrations and examples also helps in understanding the complex concepts of special relativity.

3. How is this book different from other books on special relativity?

This book stands out from others as it not only explains the fundamental principles of special relativity, but also provides a deeper understanding of the theory through illustrations and real-life applications. It also goes beyond the basics and explores the implications of special relativity in various fields.

4. Can this book be used as a reference for advanced studies in special relativity?

Yes, "Special Relativity Books: An Illustrated Guide & Beyond" can serve as a useful reference for advanced studies in special relativity. It covers a wide range of topics and provides in-depth explanations and examples, making it a valuable resource for further exploration of the subject.

5. Does this book require any prior knowledge of physics?

While a basic understanding of physics may be helpful, "Special Relativity Books: An Illustrated Guide & Beyond" is written in a way that is accessible to readers without any prior knowledge of the subject. The book starts with the fundamentals and builds upon them, making it suitable for readers from various backgrounds.