1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity derivations ...

1. Sep 1, 2015 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using the special relativity formulae
    p = mv / [1 - (v/c)2]
    E2 = p2c2 + m2c4
    derive linear relations between:
    (i) momentum and mass;
    (ii) energy and mass;
    (iii) energy and momentum,
    which involve only c, c2, β = v/c, and γ (= 1/sqrt(1 - β2))

The attempt at a solution

I am pretty sure the answer to (i) is p = γmv = γmβc, although I am unsure if this counts as a linear relation.
    I suppose for (ii) I should be aiming for E = mc2, and for (iii) maybe I should be trying to get to E = pc (although I think this only applies to massless particles), but I haven't had much luck thus far.
    I know these aren't really that hard, but for some reason my brain is just drawing blanks with these.

Many thanks for help and patience.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2015 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think that here "linear" means that the two variables being related are each of first-power (no squares or square roots).
    So, (i) is fine.
    It seems that you have three quantities: p,m,E (mutually related by the above).... and you wish to find the relations between pairs chosen from those three.
    So, what would you get for (ii)?

4. Sep 2, 2015 #3
    Sorry, a bit confused. I am pretty sure for (ii) I am meant to get E = mc2. My main problem is getting there from the formulae the question provided. Does that make sense? ...

5. Sep 2, 2015 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

From your given relations,
    E is the relativistic energy, p is the relativistic momentum, and m is the [invariant] rest mass.
    With these symbols, ##E\neq mc^2## in general.
    You can see this immediately by plugging in "what you think your E should be" into "E2 = p2c2 + m2c4".
    When (that is, Under what conditions) will E="what you think your E should be" be true?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted