Special Relativity Moving Frames Question

In summary, the author is asking for a solution to a problem that they understand, but cannot find a solution to. The author suggests that shooting the cannon ball straight up is the answer, as this will result in the ball returning to the cannon frame of reference without any acceleration.
knowLittle

Homework Statement

I am sort of reviving this thread.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=182511
My question is the same.
I understand and agree with what fisix responded a few years ago.

Homework Equations

cos( θ)= v_cart / v_bullet

The Attempt at a Solution

I can gather that in the reference frame of the cart, the bullet will appear to just go straight up and straight down.
And, in the reference frame of the ground, the bullet will look following a parabolic path.
Nevertheless, I cannot discern how to obtain the angle.

It seems to me that it has to be lesser or equal than pi/2.
I am not looking for the direct answer, but I just don't know how to proceed.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
angle...

This reminds me of the Einstein thought experiment with a person standing on a moving train, tosses a ball straight up and sees it move straight up, then straight down right back into their hand.

Note, if you assume no air, the lack of a train surrounding the cart/cannon and ball makes no difference, you should shoot the cannon ball straight up, given the cart experiences no acceleration during the balls flight and there is no air resistance (as in a train, the air travels with you), the ball will naturally return from whence it was shot, the cart frame of reference is non-accelerating and therefore the ball remains in its frame at least in the direction of the carts travel, of course in the direction straight up it enters another frame, but at right angles to the carts direction and so the net effect is zero on that vector.

Now, from someone on the ground observing the cart, the cannon it carries and the ball it shoots, the situation appears very different.

Remember, the ball already has a velocity in the direction of the cart when it is 'tosses' up, and given no resistance from air, will happily keep this velocity during its flight.

So answer is, shoot the ball straight up! Don't accelerate the cart during flight, given no air resistance, get out of the way for its return as there's no terminal velocity involved to help slow the balls return :-)

Last edited:
Thanks.

Related to Special Relativity Moving Frames Question

1. What is a moving frame in special relativity?

A moving frame in special relativity refers to a reference frame that is moving with respect to an observer. In other words, it is a coordinate system that is in motion relative to another coordinate system.

2. How does special relativity explain the effects of moving frames?

Special relativity explains the effects of moving frames through the concept of time dilation and length contraction. These phenomena occur when an observer measures time and distance in a moving frame, leading to different measurements compared to a stationary frame.

3. Can objects move faster than the speed of light in special relativity?

No, according to special relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. This is known as the cosmic speed limit, and it applies to all frames of reference.

4. What is the difference between Galilean relativity and special relativity?

The main difference between Galilean relativity and special relativity is that Galilean relativity does not take into account the speed of light, whereas special relativity does. Galilean relativity is only applicable to objects moving at speeds much slower than the speed of light.

5. How does special relativity affect our understanding of time and space?

Special relativity challenges our classical understanding of time and space by showing that they are not absolute, but rather relative concepts that depend on the observer's frame of reference. It also introduces the concept of spacetime, where time and space are interconnected and can be affected by the presence of mass and energy.