Special relativity problem.

In summary, a class of students taking an exam on relativistic kinetics were given an hour to complete the exam. However, due to time dilation, they actually only had 0.51 hours to complete it. The professor sent an electromagnetic signal towards the students, which took 1 hour to reach them. Using the Lorentz transforms and the information that the signal was sent while the professor was 0.86c away from the classroom, the students can calculate that the signal was actually sent 0.49 hours ago according to their clocks.
Lavabug

Homework Statement

A class of students is taking a 1-hour exam on relativistic kinetics. When the exam starts, both the class and the professor set their stopwatches to zero and the professor leaves with a velocity of 0.86c along the x-axis w/ respect to the class. The professor while traveling sends an electromagnetic signal towards the students such that when it arrives, his stopwatch will display 1 hour.

How much time do the students have to complete the exam, according to their clock?

When did the professor send the signal, according to the students?

Homework Equations

Lorentz transforms.

The Attempt at a Solution

The first question was straight-forward, I used the equation for time dilation and got 0.51hrs for the time the students really have to complete the exam. Time in O' > Time in O so it makes sense.

2nd part of the problem boggles me. I've been playing around with the lorentz contraction for a bit but I keep making a huge mess that doesn't go anywhere. Supposedly I don't need to know the position of the prof to solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's work in the professor's frame. The classroom is traveling 0.86c away from him. He sends the signal at time t0, when the classroom is (.86c)*t0 away. It catches up to the classroom at t = 1 hr. Can you solve for t0? If so, you can transform this to get the time in the classroom frame.

Don't know how I would solve for t0. Without knowing the actual positions where the signal was sent I'm a bit stuck.

You're right, we don't know the position where the signal was sent from. But we don't need to know that, because we have two pieces of information:

1. The prof is (.86c)t0 away when he sends the signal.

2. The signal, moving toward the classroom at a relative speed of 0.14c, takes time t = 1 - t0 to make up this distance.

And that gives you t0.

Mike Pemulis said:
You're right, we don't know the position where the signal was sent from. But we don't need to know that, because we have two pieces of information:

1. The prof is (.86c)t0 away when he sends the signal.

2. The signal, moving toward the classroom at a relative speed of 0.14c, takes time t = 1 - t0 to make up this distance.

And that gives you t0.

Isn't it moving at c regardless of the reference frame? If that's the case I don't see how its moving at 0.14c.

Is t = the time the signal is received according to the students' clock? So, t0 = 0.49 Hrs was when the prof sent the signal according to their clocks?

Lavabug said:
Isn't it moving at c regardless of the reference frame? If that's the case I don't see how its moving at 0.14c.

Is t = the time the signal is received according to the students' clock? So, t0 = 0.49 Hrs was when the prof sent the signal according to their clocks?

Yes, the signal travels at c no matter what. So according to the professor, he's d=0.86c*t0 away when he sends the signal. It must arrive in 1h-t0, so c*(1-t0)=d. Once you know t0, you can use time dilation to figure out when the students think he sent the signal.

Okay, I was taking a slight shortcut. The light is moving away from the professor at c, but the classroom is moving away in the same direction at 0.14c. So the professor sees the light moving 0.14c faster than the classroom. If you prefer, we can define the following variables (all in the professor's frame):

t0 = time signal is sent.
x0 = distance between the classroom and prof at t0. So x0 = (0.86c)t0
t1 = time when the signal reaches the classroom. t1 = 1 hour.
x1 = distance between the professor and classroom when the signal reaches the classroom. So x1 = (0.86c)t1.

Write down x1 - x0. Solve for t0. Then time-dilate the result back to the classroom frame.

Edit: Ninja'd -- what ideasrule said.

1. What is the Special Relativity Problem?

The Special Relativity Problem refers to the conflict between two theories in physics: Newton's Laws of Motion and Maxwell's Equations of Electromagnetism. These two theories have been extensively tested and proven to be accurate, yet they seem to contradict each other in certain situations.

2. What are the key concepts of Special Relativity?

The key concepts of Special Relativity include the principles of relativity and the constancy of the speed of light. The principle of relativity states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocities. The constancy of the speed of light states that the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative velocities.

3. How does Special Relativity solve the problem?

Special Relativity solves the problem by introducing the concept of spacetime, where time and space are interconnected and can be affected by the motion of an observer. It also introduces the idea of time dilation, where time appears to pass slower for objects in motion relative to an observer. This explains the discrepancies between Newton's Laws and Maxwell's Equations.

4. What are the real-life implications of Special Relativity?

The real-life implications of Special Relativity are vast and have greatly impacted our understanding of the universe. It has led to the development of technologies such as GPS, which relies on the principles of relativity to accurately calculate location. It has also expanded our understanding of the nature of space and time, and how they are interconnected.

5. Are there any unresolved issues with Special Relativity?

While Special Relativity has been extensively tested and accepted as a valid theory, there are still some unresolved issues, such as the incompatibility with quantum mechanics. The search for a unified theory that combines both theories is ongoing in the field of physics. Additionally, there are ongoing debates and experiments to further refine and improve our understanding of Special Relativity.