Special relativity question driving me crazy....

In summary: But this is not the case. When I use the Lorentz transformation, I get length contraction, time dilation, and relativity of simultaneity.
Newton-reborn
TL;DR Summary
Lorentz transformation answers don't make sense
Hey guys. Noob here.
Question;
S frame = x,y,z,t
S' frame = x',y',z',t'
S' is moving with a speed v relative to S and t=t'=0 when origins coincide
v= 0.6c
find the coordinates of x = 4 & t = 0 in S'
When I use lorentz transformation, I get a negative t' and x' = 5. This doesn't make sense to me because t'=t=0 and reasoning tells me that x' should also be equal to 4. Please help. I appreciate any help

Physics news on Phys.org
You just discovered "relativity of simultaneity". The clocks coincide at t = t' = 0 at the origin. But nowhere else.

And I'm not sure what reasoning tells you that x' = x, i.e. that there's no length contraction. But in fact the Lorentz transformation should give you length contraction, time dilation, and relativity of simultaneity.

Likes Newton-reborn
Hey thanks for your response. If t=t'=0, why is it that when I use the lorentz transformation to find t' I do not get t'=0. This is what is confusing me. Thanks

Newton-reborn said:
Hey thanks for your response. If t=t'=0, why is it that when I use the lorentz transformation to find t' I do not get t'=0. This is what is confusing me. Thanks
##t = t' = 0## occurs only at the origin. At all other points, when ##t = 0## we have ##t' \ne 0##.

Likes Newton-reborn
Newton-reborn said:
to find t' I do not get t'=0
The "absolute time", that Newton had assumed, does not exist. What you found with the LT is the "relativity of simultaneity". That is a consequence of the 2nd postulate of SR, the invariance of the speed of light under transformation from one inertial frame to another.

You can do a simple plausibility check: Please set in the LT x = c * t, in order to describe the movement of a light pulse, and then calculate x’/t’. That is the transformed speed of light, and you will get the
result: x’/t’ = c.

With the (old) Galilean transformation x’ = x - v*t and t’ = t, you would get x’/t’ = c-v.

Last edited:
Likes Newton-reborn
Thanks guy. I had assumed that when the clocks were synchronized at the origin, they were also synchronized at all other points.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does special relativity differ from general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial frames of reference, while general relativity extends these laws to non-inertial frames of reference and includes the effects of gravity.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in special relativity?

The speed of light, denoted by the symbol "c", is a fundamental constant in special relativity. It is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel, and it plays a crucial role in the equations and principles of the theory.

4. Can special relativity be observed or tested in everyday life?

Yes, special relativity has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations. One example is the famous "twin paradox", where one twin who travels at high speeds in space will age slower than the other twin who remains on Earth. This has been observed in experiments with atomic clocks.

5. Are there any practical applications of special relativity?

Yes, special relativity has several practical applications in modern technology. For example, it is crucial for GPS systems to accurately track and calculate the position of objects on Earth. It also plays a role in nuclear energy and particle accelerators.