Special Relativity, Train, Ball

In summary: He also measures the position of the ball in the train relative to the rear. According to Chet, it takes the ball 143/36c seconds to make the trip from the back of the train to the front.
chandelure

Homework Statement

A train with proper length L moves at speed 5c/13 with respect to the ground. A ball is thrown from the back of the train to the front. The speed of the ball with respect to the train is c/3. As viewed by someone on the ground, how much time does the ball spend in the air and how far does it travel.

Homework Equations

Lorentz velocity transformation
v(x)= (v(x)'+u)/(1+uv(x)'/c^2)

Length Contraction (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried to find the speed of the ball with regards to the person on the ground. Using the Lorentz velocity transformation, with v(x)' as c/3 and u as 5c/13, I got v(x)=7c/11
After that I'm not sure about the next step. The answer to the first part of the problem is 11L/3c. However, when I assumed that the ball would need to travel L distance more than the train to get from back to front, I get L/(7c/11-5c/13)=143L/36c. I'm just really confused now. I think I can solve the second part of the question if I figure out what's wrong with my approach to the first.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, chandelure. Welcome to PF!

chandelure said:
However, when I assumed that the ball would need to travel L distance more than the train to get from back to front, ...

How long is the train according to someone on the ground?

Last edited:
As reckoned by observers on the train, how long does it take for the ball to travel from the rear of the train to the front of the train? In the train frame of reference, if the rear of the train is x' = 0 and the ball is thrown at time t' = 0, what are the coordinates x' and t' when the ball arrives at the front of the train? If, in the ground frame of reference, the ball is thrown at x = 0 at time t = 0, what are the ground coordinates x and t when the ball arrives at the front of the train?

Chet

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. It also states that the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. How does special relativity apply to a train?

Special relativity applies to a train by considering the motion of an observer on the train and an observer outside of the train. The observer on the train will experience time and space differently than the observer outside of the train due to their relative motion.

3. Can special relativity be applied to objects in motion?

Yes, special relativity can be applied to any object in motion, not just trains. It is a fundamental principle of the theory that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

4. How does special relativity affect the perception of time?

Special relativity states that time is relative and is influenced by the observer's relative motion. The faster an object moves, the slower time appears to pass for that object relative to a stationary observer.

5. What is the "train and ball" thought experiment in special relativity?

The "train and ball" thought experiment is a hypothetical situation used to explain the effects of special relativity. It involves a train moving at a constant speed and a ball being thrown between two observers on the train. The observers will measure the speed and trajectory of the ball differently due to their relative motion, demonstrating the principles of special relativity.