Analyzing Relativistic Effects on Low-Flying Satellites

In summary: Earth satellite traveling at 8000m/s. He first plugs in this value for velocity into the original equation, but then realizes that the Taylor expansion produces the same result. He questions the usefulness of the Taylor expansion and wonders how to obtain a more accurate value.
mch

Homework Statement

[/B]
A low flying Earth satellite travels at about 8000m/s. For the satellite, the relativistic factor $$\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}$$ where $$\beta = \frac{v}{c}$$ is close to 1 because v<<c. Estimate by how much gamma actually deviates from 1 by expanding gamma in a taylor series and evaluating all terms up to second order.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
To be sure, I plugged in 8000 for v in gamma originally. That is, I evaluated $$\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}$$ with $$\beta = \frac{8000}{3\times10^8}$$ When I put this gamma into my TI-89 and used 12-point-float, it came back with 1.00000000036. This makes sense, since the satellite is moving so slow compared to the speed of light. However, when I did the taylor expansion, I came up with $$\gamma \approx 1 + \frac{\beta^2}{2}$$ and when I put in the aforementioned beta value, i came up with the EXACT same value as before. So my question is a semantic one I suppose: what is the question wanting me to do? How can I get a more useful number when both "techniques" yield the same number?

Physics news on Phys.org
mch said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
A low flying Earth satellite travels at about 8000m/s. For the satellite, the relativistic factor $$\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}$$ where $$\beta = \frac{v}{c}$$ is close to 1 because v<<c. Estimate by how much gamma actually deviates from 1 by expanding gamma in a taylor series and evaluating all terms up to second order.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
To be sure, I plugged in 8000 for v in gamma originally. That is, I evaluated $$\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}$$ with $$\beta = \frac{8000}{3\times10^8}$$ When I put this gamma into my TI-89 and used 12-point-float, it came back with 1.00000000036. This makes sense, since the satellite is moving so slow compared to the speed of light. However, when I did the taylor expansion, I came up with $$\gamma \approx 1 + \frac{\beta^2}{2}$$ and when I put in the aforementioned beta value, i came up with the EXACT same value as before. So my question is a semantic one I suppose: what is the question wanting me to do? How can I get a more useful number when both "techniques" yield the same number?
They're not exactly the same value. They're only the same to the number of digits that your calculator has provided. If it could provide more digits (without roundoff), the numbers would be different. How would you calculator do if the velocity was only 1 meter per second? How would your approximate equation do?

Chet

1. What are relativistic effects on low-flying satellites?

Relativistic effects refer to the changes in time and space measurements due to the effects of gravity and high speeds. In the case of low-flying satellites, these effects become significant as the satellite moves at high speeds and experiences varying levels of gravity from the Earth's surface.

2. How do relativistic effects impact the orbit of low-flying satellites?

Relativistic effects can cause a shift in the orbit of low-flying satellites, leading to changes in their trajectory and position. This can affect the accuracy of their navigation and communication systems, as well as their overall stability in orbit.

3. Can relativistic effects be predicted and accounted for in satellite design?

Yes, scientists and engineers take into account relativistic effects when designing and launching low-flying satellites. Extensive calculations and simulations are performed to predict and compensate for these effects in order to ensure the satellite's successful operation in orbit.

4. Why is it important to analyze relativistic effects on low-flying satellites?

Analyzing relativistic effects is crucial for accurately understanding and predicting the behavior of low-flying satellites. By accounting for these effects, scientists and engineers can ensure the success and longevity of the satellite's mission, as well as prevent any potential errors or malfunctions.

5. Are there any other factors besides relativistic effects that can impact low-flying satellites?

Yes, there are other factors that can impact low-flying satellites, such as atmospheric drag, solar radiation, and gravitational pull from other celestial bodies. These factors must also be taken into consideration during the design and operation of low-flying satellites.