Specific Charge AS Level HELP?

In summary: In this case, the nucleus has a charge of 6 protons and neutrons and has a mass of 12 protons and neutrons.
LouPhyGENIU
Specific Charge AS Level HELP??!

Hi, RIGHT, I am in desperate need of help I am attempting to teach myself Specifiction A AQA AS Physics and need help with how to figure out the specific charge of a nucleus when the charge and mass are not stated.
It is hard to explain without diagrams but if a nuclus is given, for example C with a small 12 on top and a small 6 on the bottom how would you work out the specific charge for this because my textbook says that you can only work out specific charge if you have the charge and the mass? Hope this makes a vague amount of sense and I may be being very silly but i need someone to explain this to me at a very basic level!

Physics news on Phys.org
"Specific charge" is the ratio of charge to mass for the nucleus (apparently expressed in coulombs/kg). What do the '12' and the '6' represent in the symbol for carbon-12 that you are describing?

Um they are the number of protens and neutrons (the number on top) and the number of protons (number on bottom) This is very basic AS Level Physics just don't know how to work out the specific charge from those two numbers!

LouPhyGENIU said:
Um they are the number of protens and neutrons (the number on top) and the number of protons (number on bottom) This is very basic AS Level Physics just don't know how to work out the specific charge from those two numbers!
Well, using those two numbers you can work out the charge of the nucleus, what is the charge of a proton and a neutron? You can also work out the mass of the nucleus.

LouPhyGENIU said:

All right, so what is the charge of the nucleus (what does the '6' also stand for)? You will want to convert that amount of charge into units of Coulombs.

If the number of protons and neutrons is 12, what is the mass of the nucleus? You will ultimately want to convert that into units of kilograms.

The specific charge is the ratio of the charge in Coulombs to the mass in kilograms.

1. What is specific charge as level?

Specific charge at AS level refers to the measurement of the ratio between the charge of a particle and its mass. It is commonly used in physics to describe the properties of subatomic particles.

2. How is specific charge calculated?

Specific charge is calculated by dividing the charge of a particle by its mass. The resulting value is typically expressed in units of coulombs per kilogram (C/kg).

3. What is the significance of specific charge in physics?

The specific charge of a particle is important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields. It also helps in identifying and classifying different types of particles based on their specific charge values.

4. What factors can affect the specific charge of a particle?

The specific charge of a particle can be affected by its charge and mass, as well as external factors such as electric and magnetic fields. Additionally, the specific charge of a particle can also be affected by relativistic effects at high velocities.

5. How is specific charge used in practical applications?

Specific charge is used in a variety of practical applications, including particle accelerators, medical imaging techniques such as MRI, and in the study of nuclear reactions. It is also useful in identifying unknown particles in experiments and research.