1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Specific Gravity and Pressure in Flowing Pipe

1. Jun 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The following question is from ExamKrackers Physics [an MCAT prep book].

image001.gif

An ideal fluid with specific gravity of 1.0 is passed through a pipe. Along the length of the pipe shown above are attached 3 vertical pipes which are sealed off as shown above. If now a different ideal fluid with a specific gravity of 2.0 is passed through the pipe at the same volume flow rate the pressure at any point in the pipe would:

a. decrease by a factor of 2
    b. remain the same
    c. increase by a factor of 2
    d. more information is required

2. Relevant equations

K = P + pgy + 1/2*pv^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Based on bernoulli's equation above if you increase rho, pressure would have to decrease since the terms of bernoulli's equation sum to a constant. The answer given by Examkracers is that [c] the pressure increases by a factor of 2. I can't seem to see why this would be true. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Maneuver1! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a rho: ρ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    I think you're both wrong …

Bernoulli's equation is constant along a streamline

unless you know something about the starting (or finishing) conditions, I don't see how you can say anything about the pressure :confused:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook