Specific heat/equilibrium in three component system (Thermo)

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving calculating the equilibrium temperature of three objects with different masses and specific heats. The problem provides a screenshot and asks for a numerical value using a binomial expansion method. The expert suggests expressing the masses and specific heats in terms of one of the objects and keeping the temperatures in degrees Celsius to simplify the equation.
RadiumBlue

Homework Statement

Rather than retyping the problem, I've uploaded a screenshot here >> http://imgur.com/EB5MrtP

Homework Equations

[itex]Q_1 + Q_2 + Q_3 ... = 0[/itex]
[itex] mc \Delta T = Q[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a. [itex] Q_{tea} + Q_{met} + Q_{cr} = 0 [/itex]

I converted the temperatures to K, so [itex]T_{cr}[/itex] and [itex]T_{met}[/itex] = 293.15K, while [itex]T_{tea}[/itex] = 373.15K

Constructing the equation, I got:

[itex] 0 = (m_{met} * c_{met}* (T_{equil}-293.15)) + (m_{cr} * c_{cr} * (T_{equil}-293.15)) + (m_{tea} * c_{tea} * (T_{equil} - 373.15)) [/itex]

I'm stuck here now, because the problem doesn't give any of the masses, it only relates them to each other. The specific heats I can find because the specific heat of water is a known value, but I'm stuck on the masses. What am I missing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the problem is asking you to express the equilibrium temperature in terms of the symbols for the masses and specific heats. If so, you do not need to plug in numerical values for these quantities.

TSny said:
I believe the problem is asking you to express the equilibrium temperature in terms of the symbols for the masses and specific heats. If so, you do not need to plug in numerical values for these quantities.

Oh, there's a small part at the bottom that got cropped out, it specifically asks for a numerical value. It also mentions something about using a binomial expansion to solve it, which I didn't understand how it applied to this problem. I've amended the link in the OP with the fixed version.

OK. Sorry, I did not see part (c) when I first looked at the problem.

Try expressing all masses in terms of one of the masses, say ##m_{met}##. Likewise, express all specific heats in terms of one of the specific heats, say ##c_{met}##.

You will then find that the equation simplifies such that you do not need any numerical values for the masses or specific heats.

Also, you do not need to express the temperatures in K. You can keep them in oC because you are dealing with temperature differences here.

Oh, duh, I see it now. Thank you! I probably should have tried that first, but I just didn't think of it.

What is specific heat?

Specific heat is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is a physical property that is unique to each substance and can vary depending on factors such as temperature and pressure.

How is specific heat measured?

Specific heat is typically measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that can accurately measure the heat energy exchanged between a substance and its surroundings. The change in temperature of the substance and the amount of heat added or removed can be used to calculate its specific heat.

What is equilibrium in a three component system?

Equilibrium in a three component system refers to a state where all three components (solid, liquid, and gas) are present in a system and are in balance with each other. This means that the rates of phase changes between the three components are equal and there is no net change in the relative amounts of each component.

How is equilibrium achieved in a three component system?

Equilibrium in a three component system can be achieved through various processes such as heating, cooling, or changes in pressure. These processes can cause the substances to transition between phases, eventually reaching a state where the rates of phase changes are equal and equilibrium is achieved.

Why is understanding specific heat and equilibrium important in thermodynamics?

Specific heat and equilibrium are important concepts in thermodynamics because they help us understand how heat energy is transferred and distributed in a system. This knowledge is crucial in various industries such as engineering, chemistry, and environmental science, where accurate control and measurement of heat energy is necessary for optimal functioning and efficiency.