Spectrum of operator's exponent

In summary, it has been proven that for a bounded operator A in a complex Hilbert space, the spectrum of Exponential of A is equal to the Exponential of the spectrum of A. This can be shown using the fact that the spectrum of a polynomial of an operator is equal to the polynomial of the spectrum of the operator, and that the sum of two operators with bounded inverses also has a bounded inverse. Further, it has been shown that for any \lambda not in the spectrum of the Exponential of A, there exists an invertible operator P_n(A)-\lambda I for large enough n. This means that \lambda is also not in the Exponential of the spectrum of A.
sfire
Let A be a bounded operator in complex Hilbert space. Prove that [tex]\sigma(Exp(A))=Exp(\sigma(A))[/tex].

It is known, that [tex]\sigma(P(A))=P(\sigma(A))[/tex], where P is a polynomial.
In addition, if an operator A has a bounded inverse, then for any operator B such that [tex]||B||<1/||A^{-1}||[/tex] their sum A+B has a bounded inverse.

I managed to prove that [tex]\sigma(Exp(A))\supseteq Exp(\sigma(A))[/tex].
As
[tex]Exp(A)=I+A+\frac{A^2}{2}+\ldots,[/tex]
let
[tex]P_n(x)=1+x+\cdots+\frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]
and
[tex]Q_n(x)=\frac{x^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}+\ldots.[/tex]
Then [tex]||Q_n(A)||\to 0[/tex].

Let [tex]\lambda\notin\sigma(Exp(A))[/tex]. Then [tex]Exp(A)-\lambda I[/tex] is invertible, and [tex]P_n(A)-\lambda I=Exp(A)-\lambda I-Q_n(A)[/tex] is invertible for large n.
Moreover, [tex]P_n(A)-(\lambda+\epsilon)I[/tex] is invertible for sufficiently small epsilon. So [tex]\lambda\notin Exp(\sigma(A))[/tex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No ideas...

1. What is the spectrum of an operator's exponent?

The spectrum of an operator's exponent refers to the set of all possible values that can be obtained by raising the operator to different powers. It is a fundamental concept in operator theory, and understanding the spectrum can provide important insights into the behavior of operators.

2. How is the spectrum of an operator's exponent related to its eigenvalues?

The spectrum of an operator's exponent is closely related to its eigenvalues. In fact, the eigenvalues of the exponentiated operator are simply the original eigenvalues raised to the corresponding power. This relationship can be useful in solving problems involving operators and their spectra.

3. Can the spectrum of an operator's exponent be infinite?

Yes, the spectrum of an operator's exponent can be infinite. This is because the spectrum includes all possible values that can be obtained by raising the operator to different powers, and there is no limit to how high these powers can go.

4. How can the spectrum of an operator's exponent be calculated?

The spectrum of an operator's exponent can be calculated using a variety of techniques, depending on the specific properties of the operator. In some cases, it may be possible to use analytical methods to determine the spectrum. In other cases, numerical methods such as matrix diagonalization may be needed.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the spectrum of an operator's exponent?

Understanding the spectrum of an operator's exponent has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, it can be used to analyze the stability and behavior of physical systems, design efficient algorithms for numerical computations, and solve differential equations.