Speed and Power from the energy content of one M&M candy

In summary: So if you want to go faster than 19 m/s, you need to do something else to make up for the lack of energy from the m&ms.
BavarianBrew

Homework Statement

I would like to know how fast one M&M could make me run.
One M&M can provide about 12600 J of energy, I weight 68.5 kg.

1)Does this mean I COULD run at about 19 m/s for a fraction of a second using Ke equation?
(I know the human body is complex, muscles are about 25% efficient)

2) I would like to calculate my NEGATIVE work in joules from raising in my hand a 1kg mass, 1m height

3) How many M&M's would I have to eat to raise this?

4) If I want to do question #2 in one second what variable do I need to know to calculate how many M&M's I would need

Homework Equations

ke=.5mv^2

P= mass*gravity*distance/time

-W=mass*gravity*distance

The Attempt at a Solution

1) 19 m/s solving for velocity not factoring muscle efficiency or other variables
2) -9.8 joules
3) -9.8/12600=.0008
4) ?Thanks! I am trying to design a lab for kids.

Physics news on Phys.org
A detailed calculation would require information about your metabolism.
More general - you can look up the rate energy gets burned by "a human" in different activities ... this will tell you how long the energy of 1m&M would last ... however, not all the food you eat goes into the specific work you want to do, so a lot depends on how energy is distributed in your body.

Your body also has a top speed based on it's mechanics and the environment you run in ... you can imagine your body being like running a large ship, an oceanliner or a capital ship like a destroyer or cruiser. There are lots of places the energy running bits of the ship can come from, and lots of places for it to be used. In extremis, energy can be diverted from some system to run others ... but it does not matter how much energy you put into just pushing the ship through the water, there is a max acceleration and a max speed that is possible.

If you eat a very great deal of m&ms - it won't make you go faster unless you are already starved (and then, you'd have to wait a bit to recover).

1. How much energy does one M&M candy contain?

One M&M candy contains approximately 0.63 calories, which is equivalent to 2.63 joules of energy.

2. Can the energy from one M&M candy be used to power a device?

Yes, the energy from one M&M candy can be used to power small devices such as a calculator or a LED light for a short amount of time.

3. How does the energy from one M&M candy compare to other types of foods?

The energy content of one M&M candy is relatively low compared to other foods. For example, one apple contains about 95 calories, which is equivalent to 397.4 joules of energy.

4. Can the speed of an object be determined using the energy from one M&M candy?

No, the speed of an object cannot be directly determined using the energy from one M&M candy. The speed of an object depends on various factors such as mass, acceleration, and friction.

5. How does the energy from one M&M candy contribute to overall physical performance?

The energy from one M&M candy is a very small amount and would not contribute significantly to overall physical performance. It is important to consume a balanced and nutritious diet to maintain good physical performance.