Speed of a plane given distance and time equation.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed of an aircraft flying at a constant altitude of 10 000 m, with an angle of elevation of 60 degrees that is increasing at a rate of 1 degree per second. The formula 10 000/(Tan (a+x))=m is used to calculate the speed and the concept of average velocity is also mentioned.
brandy
an aircraft at an altitude of 10 000 m is flying at a constant speed on a line that will take it directly over an observer on the ground. if the observer notes that the angle of elevation o the aircraft is 60 degrees and is increasing at a rate of 1 degree per second find the speed of the plane in metres per second.

i got the formula for the equation as 10 000/(Tan (a+x))=m
a=angle x=seconds m=metres across.

i can't think why it would be incorrect. the velocity is metres per second so delta M over Delta T or Delta y over Delta x (the gradient function)
that didnt get me anywhere because i didnt know wat to sub in for the equation

then i simply took an m value and a x value and used the average velocity formula but as expected it changed.

plllllllllleeeassse i know the answer is staring me right in the face, I am just temporaily blind. help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi brandy! :smile:

(have a delta: ∆ :wink:)
brandy said:
i got the formula for the equation as 10 000/(Tan (a+x))=m
a=angle x=seconds m=metres across.

hmm … your notation is horrible, and you've left out half of the rhs :frown:

you should have ∆x = v ∆t = 10 000/(Tan (60º + ∆t)) - 10 000/(Tan (60º)) :smile:

I would recommend using the distance formula, which is d = rt, where d is the distance, r is the rate or speed, and t is the time. In this case, we know the distance (10,000 meters) and the time (1 second per degree), so we just need to solve for the speed (r).

First, we need to convert the angle from degrees to radians, as that is the unit used in trigonometric functions. We can do this by multiplying 60 degrees by π/180. This gives us an angle of π/3 radians.

Next, we can use the tangent function to find the rate. Tan(π/3) = opposite/adjacent = 10,000/r. Solving for r, we get r = 10,000/tan(π/3) = 10,000/√3 ≈ 5,774 meters per second.

So, the speed of the plane is approximately 5,774 meters per second. Hope this helps!

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed of a plane given distance and time?

The formula for calculating the speed of a plane given distance and time is speed = distance / time. This means that the speed of a plane is equal to the distance it travels divided by the time it takes to travel that distance.

2. How do I convert the units of distance and time to use with the speed formula?

If the distance is given in kilometers and the time is given in hours, you can use them as is in the formula. However, if the distance is given in miles and the time is given in minutes, you will need to convert the distance to kilometers and the time to hours before using the formula. You can do this by multiplying the distance in miles by 1.609 (conversion factor from miles to kilometers) and dividing the time in minutes by 60 (to convert to hours).

3. Can the speed of a plane change during its journey?

Yes, the speed of a plane can change during its journey. It may start off at one speed, then increase or decrease depending on factors such as wind speed, altitude, and air traffic control instructions.

4. Is there a maximum speed that a plane can travel at?

Yes, there is a maximum speed that a plane can travel at. This is called the speed of sound, also known as Mach 1. It is approximately 767 miles per hour or 1234 kilometers per hour at sea level.

5. How accurate is the speed calculated using this formula?

The speed calculated using this formula is accurate as long as the distance and time values are measured accurately. However, it may not take into account external factors that can affect the plane's speed, such as air resistance or changes in wind speed. In these cases, the calculated speed may be slightly different from the actual speed of the plane.