Speed of block after 2 forces acted on it (Mechanics)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Tasha9000
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 1.5kg block is at rest on a table. The coefficient of friction between the block and the table is 0.15. A force of 6N is applied to the block for 2 seconds followed by a force of 1N (in the same direction) for 3s.
(a)What is the speed of the block at the end (t=5)?
(b)What is the total distance the block moves up to t=5?

m=1.5kg
v1=0m/s
CofF=0.15
F1=6N
t1=2s
F2=1N
t2=3s


Homework Equations



I really don't even have an idea which formulas to use :confused:
F=ma
Ff=(coefficient of friction)(FN)
Ek=(mv2)/2
W=FdcosA
vf=vi+at
d=vit+1/2at2
2ad=vf2-vi2
d=vt



The Attempt at a Solution



Ff=CofF(FN)=0.15*1.5kg*9.8m/s2=2.205N

Fnet=ma --> a=F/m --> a=(F1+F2-Ff)/m

a=3.1967m/s2

?

I only (really) need help with part (a). I've tried about a dozen solutions and none of them have worked. I've been working on this question for hours, PLEASE help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Be careful with the net force. You have to separate two different events: first you have force [tex]F_{1}=6 \textsc{N}[/tex] acting for 2 seconds and then [tex]F_{2}=1 \textsc{N}[/tex] for 3 seconds.

Now, it's not clearly stated if those forces are applied together after time interval of 2 seconds. If we assume that they are applied one after another then you have

[tex]F_{net_{1}}=F_{1}-F_{fr}=ma_{1}[/tex]
[tex]F_{net_{2}}=F_{2}-F_{fr}=ma_{2}[/tex]

From there we get accelerations. Distances and speeds are then easily calculated using given time intervals.

Otherwise, we have

[tex]F_{net_{1}}=F_{1}-F_{fr}=ma_{1}[/tex]
[tex]F_{net_{2}}=F_{1}+F_{2}-F_{fr}=ma_{2}[/tex]