1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Speed of block after 2 forces acted on it (Mechanics)

1. Feb 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1.5kg block is at rest on a table. The coefficient of friction between the block and the table is 0.15. A force of 6N is applied to the block for 2 seconds followed by a force of 1N (in the same direction) for 3s.
    (a)What is the speed of the block at the end (t=5)?
    (b)What is the total distance the block moves up to t=5?

m=1.5kg
    v1=0m/s
    CofF=0.15
    F1=6N
    t1=2s
    F2=1N
    t2=3s

2. Relevant equations

I really don't even have an idea which formulas to use :confused:
    F=ma
    Ff=(coefficient of friction)(FN)
    Ek=(mv2)/2
    W=FdcosA
    vf=vi+at
    d=vit+1/2at2
    2ad=vf2-vi2
    d=vt

3. The attempt at a solution

Ff=CofF(FN)=0.15*1.5kg*9.8m/s2=2.205N

Fnet=ma --> a=F/m --> a=(F1+F2-Ff)/m

a=3.1967m/s2

??????????????

I only (really) need help with part (a). I've tried about a dozen solutions and none of them have worked. I've been working on this question for hours, PLEASE help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2010 #2
    Be careful with the net force. You have to separate two different events: first you have force [tex]F_{1}=6 \textsc{N}[/tex] acting for 2 seconds and then [tex]F_{2}=1 \textsc{N}[/tex] for 3 seconds.

Now, it's not clearly stated if those forces are applied together after time interval of 2 seconds. If we assume that they are applied one after another then you have

[tex]F_{net_{1}}=F_{1}-F_{fr}=ma_{1}[/tex]
    [tex]F_{net_{2}}=F_{2}-F_{fr}=ma_{2}[/tex]

From there we get accelerations. Distances and speeds are then easily calculated using given time intervals.

Otherwise, we have

[tex]F_{net_{1}}=F_{1}-F_{fr}=ma_{1}[/tex]
    [tex]F_{net_{2}}=F_{1}+F_{2}-F_{fr}=ma_{2}[/tex]

4. Feb 10, 2010 #3
    Thank you, you are a life saver:smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook