"Investigating the Speed of Reflections in Mirrors"

In summary: When you look in a mirror, your own movements are reflected back to you. This means that the object appears to be moving slower than it actually is. The difference is so small that it is usually not noticeable.
wilha
We are able to see things around us due to the reflection of light, but while standing in front of a mirror we see our own reflection. And the moment we move our reflection moves as well

My question: Since light reflects off us, then into the mirror, and back to our eyes, does it mean that our reflection is technically slower than our movements and the difference is so minute that it goes unnoticed to our eyes ?

Science news on Phys.org
Yes.

Thanks, i asked my teacher the same question, he didn't have a clear answer.

The speed of light though is almost 30,000,000 m/s. So while the reflection is slower, the time lag is only noticeable over very large distances or with very sensitive methods of measuring. For example, the light emitted by the Sun takes around 8 minutes to reach the Earth in an often quoted example.

i agree with Born2bwire. but the speed of light is actually almosl 300,000,000 m/s

onlyyou200548 said:
i agree with Born2bwire. but the speed of light is actually almosl 300,000,000 m/s

Dammit, I should have stuck with scientific notation.

I assume we're talking non-relativistic speeds here.
The word "slower" could be confusing and the issue should be cleared up. There will be a time lag of everything you observe of about 3ns for every metre away the object is. That doesn't mean the object will appear to be going slower - it will appear to start late and arrive late on its journey but the time taken will be the same so you would measure the same speed.
The frequency of light that you see will not be reduced, either, unless you are getting the doppler effect because the motion is away from you.

To be more specific, the speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s.

Oh, I'm sure you can be more accurate than that.

sophiecentaur said:
Oh, I'm sure you can be more accurate than that.

No, you can't. The speed of light is defined to be exactly 299,792,458 m/s

(maybe you were joking, but I figured it was worth this out)

Which reminds me of a friend at School who told us he had calculated pi to 40 sig. figs.. We were very impressed until he showed us how he'd done it. He'd divided 22 by 7 and carried on till he done it to 39 places.

I bet he still wakes up in a sweat, some nights, remembering the withering reception he got from his 'best mates'.

Amusing story...But what made you think of that?

sig figs
:smile:

sophiecentaur said:
Which reminds me of a friend at School who told us he had calculated pi to 40 sig. figs.. We were very impressed until he showed us how he'd done it. He'd divided 22 by 7 and carried on till he done it to 39 places.

I bet he still wakes up in a sweat, some nights, remembering the withering reception he got from his 'best mates'.

:rofl: :rofl:
There's an hour he'll never get back!

yeah your reflection is kind of not only slower but also it's in the past ;]

This looks a new excuse for narcissism, oh sorry I was doing a physics experiment! I wasn't REALLY just staring at myself.

You are all wrong. Unless you're in a vacuum with a front-silvered mirror.
Speed of light in air is 0.9997c
in the mirror glass it's about 0.66c.

read the classic SciFi by Bob Shaw where slow glass takes months or years to pass light.

Last edited:
silentbob14 said:
yeah your reflection is kind of not only slower but also it's in the past ;]
Please explain why it will appear "slower".

1. What is the purpose of investigating the speed of reflections in mirrors?

The purpose of investigating the speed of reflections in mirrors is to understand the physical properties of light and how it behaves when it interacts with reflective surfaces. This can help us better understand and improve technologies that rely on reflection, such as mirrors, telescopes, and lasers.

2. How is the speed of reflections in mirrors measured?

The speed of reflections in mirrors can be measured using a simple experiment where a light source, such as a laser, is directed at a mirror at a known angle. The angle of incidence and angle of reflection are then measured and used to calculate the speed of the reflected light.

3. What factors can affect the speed of reflections in mirrors?

The speed of reflections in mirrors can be affected by a few different factors, such as the angle of incidence, the material and surface of the mirror, and the wavelength of the light being reflected. The speed of light in the medium surrounding the mirror can also have an impact.

4. What is the relationship between the speed of light and the speed of reflections in mirrors?

The speed of light is constant in a vacuum, but it can change when it enters a different medium, such as glass or air. The speed of reflections in mirrors is dependent on the speed of light in the medium surrounding the mirror. This means that the speed of reflections can change depending on the material and surface of the mirror.

5. How can investigating the speed of reflections in mirrors contribute to other areas of science?

Studying the speed of reflections in mirrors has implications in various fields of science, such as optics, astronomy, and physics. It can help with the development of new technologies, improve our understanding of light and its properties, and contribute to advancements in other scientific research areas.