1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of sound in air

1. Jul 31, 2007 #1
    Can someone tell me how I find the speed of sound in air?

If I plot a graph of frequency against length would I be right in saying that I can find the speed of sound by finding where the two points on the graph intersect and multiplying by 2, so that

v = 2 * Lf

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2007 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you mean by "where the two points intersect"?? I am not sure what that means.

Note that if you plot f versus L, you will not get a straight line at all. But if you plot f versus one over L, then you will get a straight line and the slope will be equal to v/2. So speed = twice the slope of a f versus 1/L graph. This is clear from f = V/(2L).

4. Jul 31, 2007 #3
    What I'm trying to do is to find the speed of sound in air. I have the resonance experiment in mind where a frequency is applied to a tube of air and measurements taken of the length of the tube where resonance occurs for that particular frequency.

So what you are saying is that I should plot the frequency against 1/L? is that correct? I'm not sure I understand why I wouldn't get a straight line graph if I plotted frequency against length. (I can't recreate the experiment to find out for myself)

5. Jul 31, 2007 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am assuming that you are varying the length and measure the fundamental frequency of the tube as a function of the length (not of excited modes), right?

You can see from the formula that f = v/(2L)

If you call f = y and L = x, you get y = c/x with c = V/2 .
    If you plot a function y =c/x you don'tget a staright line since it's not of the form y = mx + b.

6. Jul 31, 2007 #5
    I want to excite the tube with a range of frequencies, and record the length where resonance occurs

I think I see what you mean about the graph not being a straight line... It needs to be in the right form...

Is there a list of similar results I could take a look at somewhere? I think I need to see for myself what is going on?

7. Jul 31, 2007 #6

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I understand. The only tricky thing is to know what harmonic you are exciting. The formula you gave is only valid for the fundamental mode of a pipe open at both ends.

I am sure that a google search would give some results. But it's pretty straightforward...just plot your points and you will get a straight line. If you get a straight line but the speed comes out to be way off, you might hav ebeen generating higher harmonics.

The general formula is

v = 2 L f /n

8. Jul 31, 2007 #7
    Ok... But isn't that formula the same as I suggested in my original post? (assuming the 1st harmonic?)

9. Jul 31, 2007 #8

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it is. I simply gave it for any harmonic. Just in case that could be useful to you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?