Trouble with Two Physics Problems: Speed of Sound and Acceleration

In summary: So it would be \sqrt{\frac{h}{4.9}} + \frac{h}{340} = 3.4. Then you can solve for h. As for #2, you can use the equation d=vt to find the distance the motorist traveled, and then use the equation d=0.5at^2 to find the distance the cop traveled. Set these two equal and solve for t, which will give you the time it takes to catch the speeder. Then you can use the equation v=u+at to find the velocity of the cop (where u is the initial velocity of the cop, which is 0). In summary, for the first question, the height of the cliff can be
cscott
I'm reviewing for a test on everything I learned last year and I'm having trouble with these two questions:

1. A rock is dropped from a sea cliff and the sound is heard 3.4s later. Speed of sound is 340 m/s, how high is the cliff?

2. A motorist passes a cop at 120 km/h. The cop begins immediately accelerating at 10 km/h/s. How much time will it take to catch the speeder and how fast will the officer be travelling?

I can't get my equations right so I have to many unknowns... the sad thing is I've seen both of these questions before... :\

Physics news on Phys.org
cscott said:

I can't get my equations right so I have to many unknowns... the sad thing is I've seen both of these questions before... :\

Isolate the known constants and unknown variables. What types of constants are present in the first question (time for something to go a certain distance, distance after uniform velocity, distance after uniform acceleration, etc.)? What is the unknown ? What kinematics equation(s) have only these types of variables present ?

Last edited:
1) As the rock is falling downward, it's height is given by h(t)= -4.9t2+ h0 where x0 is the height of the cliff. How long will it take to hit the bottom, as a function of h? Of course, the sound takes time vs/h (vs is the speed of sound (340 m/s) and h is the (unknown) height of the cliff) to come back to your ear. The sum of those two formulas is, according to this problem, 3.4 sec. Solve for h.

1) The distance moved by the motorist, in miles where t is in hours, is sm(t)= 120 t. The distance moved by the policeman is sp(t)= (1/2)(10 km/h/s) t2. Set those equal and solve for t. You might want to change "10 km/h/s to km/h2 to keep everything in the same units.

HallsofIvy said:
1) As the rock is falling downward, it's height is given by h(t)= -4.9t2+ h0 where x0 is the height of the cliff. How long will it take to hit the bottom, as a function of h? Of course, the sound takes time vs/h (vs is the speed of sound (340 m/s) and h is the (unknown) height of the cliff) to come back to your ear. The sum of those two formulas is, according to this problem, 3.4 sec. Solve for h.

1) The distance moved by the motorist, in miles where t is in hours, is sm(t)= 120 t. The distance moved by the policeman is sp(t)= (1/2)(10 km/h/s) t2. Set those equal and solve for t. You might want to change "10 km/h/s to km/h2 to keep everything in the same units.

I'm probably just tired and this isn't making sense to me, but wouldn't the time the sound takes to reach your ear be h/vs?

h(t) = 0 = -4.9t2 + h0

...solve for t and then add (as HallsofIvy said).

Edit: I don't know why my superscript isn't working, but you get the point :smile:

Last edited:
Maybe I'm tired as well, but for #1 do I end up with [tex]\sqrt{\frac{h}{-4.9} }+ \frac{h}{340} = 3.4[/tex]

When I try to do this I get some crazy quadratic... at least I see I was on track.

Thanks for your help.

cscott said:
Maybe I'm tired as well, but for #1 do I end up with [tex]\sqrt{\frac{h}{-4.9} }+ \frac{h}{340} = 3.4[/tex]

When I try to do this I get some crazy quadratic... at least I see I was on track.

Thanks for your help.

That should be 4.9 (not -4.9).

1. What is the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is a measurement of how fast sound waves travel through a medium, such as air or water. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. Is the speed of sound constant?

No, the speed of sound can vary depending on factors such as temperature, humidity, and altitude. In general, sound travels faster in warmer, less humid air and slower in colder, more humid air.

3. How does the speed of sound compare to the speed of light?

The speed of sound is much slower than the speed of light. While the speed of sound is approximately 340 m/s, the speed of light is approximately 300,000,000 m/s.

4. Why is the speed of sound important?

The speed of sound is important for many reasons. It helps us understand how sound travels and how it can be affected by different conditions. It also plays a crucial role in communication, as it determines the time it takes for sound to travel from one point to another.

5. How is the speed of sound measured?

The speed of sound can be measured using various methods, such as timing how long it takes for sound to travel a known distance, or using specialized equipment such as a sonic anemometer. Scientists also use mathematical equations, such as the one developed by physicist Ernst Mach, to calculate the speed of sound.