Spheres placed in an electric field

In summary, the spheres will move towards each other until the resultant electrostatic field inside the spheres is zero.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Two neutral metal spheres of radius r and mass m each are connected by a light flexible conducting string of length L. The spheres are placed in a uniform electrostatic field E directed along the line connecting the centers of the spheres. Initially, the spheres are at rest a distance l from each other (r << l < L). Find the maximum speed v of the spheres after they are released. Neglect gravitational effects.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see any reason why would the spheres start moving towards each other when they are released. The question itself states that the spheres are neutral. They will not experience any electrostatic force.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the spheres are charge-neutral but charge will be redistributed by the E field so + charges face - charges & there is an attraction. This must happen so that the resultant E field inside the spheres is zero.

Some ideas:

1. model the external E field as coming from two equal & opposite charges far away from each other.
2. use image technique to place a dipole inside the volumes occupied by the two spheres
3. calculate E directly or by E = -grad V. V(r,θ) has a pretty simple solution (polar coordinates, origin at center of each sphere).
4. since there are two spheres, use superposition to determine the net E field around the spheres by handling one sphere at a time (not sure about this last step).

rude man said:
Some ideas:

1. model the external E field as coming from two equal & opposite charges far away from each other.
2. use image technique to place a dipole inside the volumes occupied by the two spheres
3. calculate E directly or by E = -grad V. V(r,θ) has a pretty simple solution (polar coordinates, origin at center of each sphere).
4. since there are two spheres, use superposition to determine the net E field around the spheres by handling one sphere at a time (not sure about this last step).

These all seem too complex for me. I'm not aware about the image techniques you mention. Can you think of some other methods?

Afraid not. There are several good discussions on image formation on the Web.
I attach one herewith.

Attachments

• method of images.pdf
    55.1 KB · Views: 431
rude man said:
Afraid not. There are several good discussions on image formation on the Web.
I attach one herewith.

Thanks for the attachment. I will report back after I've finished reading.

1. How does an electric field affect a sphere?

When a sphere is placed in an electric field, it experiences a force due to the interaction between the electric field and the charges on the surface of the sphere. The magnitude and direction of this force will depend on the strength and direction of the electric field and the distribution of charges on the surface of the sphere.

2. What happens to a sphere when it is placed in an electric field?

When a sphere is placed in an electric field, it will experience a force that causes it to move. The direction of the movement will depend on the direction of the electric field and the distribution of charges on the surface of the sphere. If the electric field is uniform, the sphere will move in the direction of the electric field.

3. How is the electric field inside a sphere affected by an external electric field?

When an external electric field is applied to a sphere, the electric field inside the sphere will be affected by the charges on the surface of the sphere. The electric field inside the sphere will be non-uniform and will depend on the strength and direction of the external electric field, as well as the distribution of charges on the surface of the sphere.

4. Can a sphere be shielded from an electric field?

Yes, a sphere can be shielded from an electric field by placing it inside a conducting shell. The conducting shell will redistribute the charges on its surface in such a way that the electric field inside the sphere is cancelled out. This is known as the Faraday cage effect.

5. How does the shape of a sphere affect its interaction with an electric field?

The shape of a sphere does not significantly affect its interaction with an electric field. As long as the sphere is symmetrical, the electric field will be evenly distributed on its surface and the force experienced by the sphere will depend on the strength and direction of the electric field and the distribution of charges on the surface. However, for non-spherical objects, the shape can play a significant role in the interaction with an electric field.