Spherical Coordinates - Help me find my bounds

In summary, the problem involves finding the mass of a vase filled with water of uniform density. The side profile of the vase is given by the surface of revolution of the function g(z) = 2 + cos(z) over the z-axis, bounded by 0 ≤ z ≤ π. The mass can be calculated using a triple integral with cylindrical coordinates, with the bounds of theta from 0 to 2pi, r from 0 to 2+cos(z), and z from 0 to pi. Alternatively, a single integral using cross sections can also be used.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A vase is filled to the top with water of uniform density f = 1. The side profile of the barrel is given by the surface of revolution obtained by revolving the graph of g(z) = 2 + cos(z) over the z-axis, and bounded by 0 ≤ z ≤ π. Find the mass of the vase.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that Mass = the triple integral of density dV.
I need to find my bounds.

I would like to use spherical coordinates as it seems to make sense with this problem.

Theta goes from 0 to 2pi.
phi goes from 0 to pi ? since it is bounded by 0 and pi? Or am I wrong here?
and rho goes from 0 to something involving the g(z) equation, but I am not sure how to manipulate it :/.

Any tips to get me started or confirmation on the phi bounds would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

A vase is filled to the top with water of uniform density f = 1. The side profile of the barrel is given by the surface of revolution obtained by revolving the graph of g(z) = 2 + cos(z) over the z-axis, and bounded by 0 ≤ z ≤ π. Find the mass of the vase.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that Mass = the triple integral of density dV.
I need to find my bounds.

I would like to use spherical coordinates as it seems to make sense with this problem.

phi goes from 0 to pi ? since it is bounded by 0 and pi? Or am I wrong here?
and rho goes from 0 to something involving the g(z) equation, but I am not sure how to manipulate it :/.

Any tips to get me started or confirmation on the phi bounds would be great.

Cylindrical coordinates make much more sense since you have the radial limit as an explicit function of z.

Likes RJLiberator
RJLiberator said:
g(z) = 2 + cos(z) over the z-axis, and bounded by 0 ≤ z ≤ π
Therefore, in cylindrical coordinates:
RJLiberator said:
Yes, and r=g(z).

Likes RJLiberator
Ah, so I assume the wrong coordinates. I guess this makes sense since a barrel is a cylinder... Sigh. 0_o. Let me try some work now.

So I am getting:

Theta: from 0 to 2pi.
r from 0 to 2+cos(z)
z from 0 to pi.

This would mean we integrate in the order dr dz dtheta

So I performed the triple integral with the bounds:
r from 0 to 2+cos(z)
z from 0 to pi.

using cylindrical coordinates and received the answer of (9pi^2)/2

It seems to be right, my one concern is with the bounds on r. It's clear to me that it starts at 0, but why am I allowed to put 2+cos(z) as the upper limit. So z=r in cylindrical coordinates, and the function was g(z)=2+cos(z) so it was that simple?

RJLiberator said:
So I performed the triple integral with the bounds:
r from 0 to 2+cos(z)
z from 0 to pi.

using cylindrical coordinates and received the answer of (9pi^2)/2

It seems to be right, my one concern is with the bounds on r. It's clear to me that it starts at 0, but why am I allowed to put 2+cos(z) as the upper limit. So z=r in cylindrical coordinates, and the function was g(z)=2+cos(z) so it was that simple?

Sound right. I'm not sure what you are saying with 'z=r in cylindrical coordinates'. The function g(z) defines the largest value of r for a given value of z, isn't that what the problem description implies?

Likes RJLiberator
Hm. I see.

The function g(z) definitely defines the largest value for r, that makes more sense to me. r is the distance from the z-axis in cylindrical coordinates and that is what is implied by the question (bounds).

That makes sense to me. The other bounds are rather obvious, so that seems to work.

Thank you for your guidance.

You could also have done it by cross sections as a single integral since it is a solid of revolution.

Likes RJLiberator

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinate measurements used to locate points in three-dimensional space. They consist of three components: radial distance, polar angle, and azimuthal angle.

2. How do I convert spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, use the following formulas:
x = r * sin(θ) * cos(φ)
y = r * sin(θ) * sin(φ)
z = r * cos(θ)
Where r is the radial distance, θ is the polar angle, and φ is the azimuthal angle.

3. What are the bounds for spherical coordinates?

The bounds for spherical coordinates depend on the specific problem or system being analyzed. Generally, the radial distance (r) should be greater than or equal to 0, the polar angle (θ) should be between 0 and π, and the azimuthal angle (φ) should be between 0 and 2π.

4. How do I graph points in spherical coordinates?

To graph points in spherical coordinates, plot the radial distance (r) along the z-axis, the polar angle (θ) from the positive z-axis, and the azimuthal angle (φ) from the positive x-axis.

5. What are some real-world applications of spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are commonly used in physics, astronomy, and engineering to describe the location and motion of objects in three-dimensional space. They are also used in navigation and mapping systems, as well as in computer graphics and 3D modeling.