Spherical Harmonic Hydrogen Wavefunction

In summary, a spherically symmetric Ylm cannot describe the state of a system with non-zero angular momentum because the concept of spherical symmetry is based on the idea that the system's properties do not change upon rotation, and having angular momentum means that this is no longer the case. This is different from the classical idea of an orbit, where an object's position can be pinpointed, and therefore, a particle with no angular momentum would not have spherical symmetry. However, when solving for probabilities in quantum mechanics, the probability distribution for finding the particle is spherically symmetric, even if it has no angular momentum.
bon

Homework Statement

Give a physical explanation of why a spherically symmetric Ylm cannot describe the state of a system with non-zero angular momentum.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that if Ylm is spherically symmetric then the particle is equally likely to be found in any direction. But if it has non-zero angular momentum then it is rotating therefore it\'s probability to be found at a particular angle should change with time. But then I thought: assume l=0. Then the particle doesn't have angular momentum. Even so, the spherical harmonic shouldn\'t be spherically symmetric, should it? Surely if it\'s not rotating round the nucleus then there should be a particular direction where it is certain (or v likely) to be found..?

Or am i taking classical ideas too far?

What would you say?
Tanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the form of the l=0 spherical harmonic. It's constant.

Thanks but that doesn\'t help. I knew that already, as is clear from my post :)

I\'m trying to understand it physically...

Well, think about the idea of "spherically symmetric". Spherically symmetric means that upon rotations, the system's properties do not change. However, if something does have an angular momentum, then one can distinguish a change in a physical system upon rotation. For example, the rotation of an object in a classical orbit has an angular momentum and since the angular momentum is defined by a certain direction, it is no longer spherically symmetric. If you do the typical thing and define the angular momentum in the z-direction with objects orbiting in the xy-plane, the system will change upon any rotation that is not simply in the orbital plane.

So if you have an angular momentum, spherical symmetry no longer holds.

Well that\'s basically what i said in my first post..but my question is: why do you have spherical symmetry when l=0. Surely if it is not orbiting, its at a given point - in which case the probability to find it in all directions shouldn't be the same!

bon said:
Well that\'s basically what i said in my first post..but my question is: why do you have spherical symmetry when l=0. Surely if it is not orbiting, its at a given point - in which case the probability to find it in all directions shouldn't be the same!

Ahh, I see what you mean. Yes this is where the classical concept of an orbit needs to be abandoned. It doesn't make sense to talk about an electron orbiting a proton, for example. The electron doesn't have a well-defined orbit so that you could say "yes the electron is right there!". Remember, you're not solving for an orbit or equations of motion; you're solving for the wave-function so a lot of classical ideas no longer apply. If you were solving for an orbit, then it would make no sense for something with no angular momentum to be spherically symmetric. However you're solving for probabilities which means the probability distribution for finding the particle is spherically symmetric.

Thank you!

1. What is a Spherical Harmonic Hydrogen Wavefunction?

A Spherical Harmonic Hydrogen Wavefunction is a mathematical function that describes the behavior of an electron in a hydrogen atom. It is a solution to the Schrödinger equation, which is used to determine the quantum state of a system.

2. How is a Spherical Harmonic Hydrogen Wavefunction represented?

A Spherical Harmonic Hydrogen Wavefunction is typically represented as Ψ(r,θ,φ), where r is the distance from the nucleus, θ is the polar angle, and φ is the azimuthal angle.

3. What is the significance of Spherical Harmonic Hydrogen Wavefunctions?

Spherical Harmonic Hydrogen Wavefunctions play a crucial role in understanding the electronic structure of atoms. They provide information about the energy levels and shapes of atomic orbitals, which determine the chemical and physical properties of atoms.

4. How are Spherical Harmonic Hydrogen Wavefunctions related to quantum numbers?

Spherical Harmonic Hydrogen Wavefunctions are associated with three quantum numbers: n, l, and m. These numbers determine the energy level, shape, and orientation of the atomic orbital, respectively.

5. Can the Spherical Harmonic Hydrogen Wavefunction be used for other atoms besides hydrogen?

While the Spherical Harmonic Hydrogen Wavefunction is specifically for the hydrogen atom, similar wavefunctions can be used for other atoms with multiple electrons. However, the exact form of the wavefunction may differ depending on the atomic number and electron configuration of the atom.