Spherical shell of charge / electron

In summary, the problem is trying to understand how the potential energy can contain the electron's charge twice, when there is only one charge to begin with.
Zaphodx57x
I am having a problem understanding this problem which references this exercise .

I tried it a couple different ways. I used
[tex]\begin{multline*}
\Delta U(Potential Energy) = Uf - Ui = Uf - U(r = infinity) = Uf - 0 \\
dU = Uf = -W = \int F * ds = \int E * Q * ds \\
Uf = -\int E * Q * dr = -\int \frac{kqQ}{r^2} = \frac{kqQ}{r}
\end{multline*}[/tex]
I also tried using the bare potential energy equation and using two arbitrary surface areas (dA) on opposite sides of the sphere with a distance between charges of 2r , then integrating each over just half of the sphere, which provided the same result.
The problem I have is that this result gives me a pretty decent result for the mass of an electron if I assume that q = Q = charge of an electron. But this assumption seems to say that the electron is pushing against itself by its full charge.
That is a force [itex]\frac{QQ}{r^2}[/itex] is present instead of a [itex]\frac {(Q)(q}{r^2}[/itex] where [itex]q = \frac {Q}{n}[/itex] or some other fractional or modified charge.
This almost makes sense to me in that if a sphere were to have a charge spread evenly over its surface and its radius is infinity, it still acts as if it has all its charge at its center and therefore would resist a decreasing radius of like charge.

If anyone can find a way to explain why this problem makes sense I would really appreciate it. I just don't understand how the Potential energy can contain the electron's charge twice, when there is only one charge to begin with.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just don't understand how the Potential energy can contain the electron's charge twice, when there is only one charge to begin with.

there is a potential from one electron to BOTH other electrons

If you keep increasing the amount of particles that the electron is composed of, the approximation for mass gets worse. Going to two particles and then eventually one gives you a better approximation, but the concept behind how it works physically eludes me. Its as if the electron focuses all its charge at its center and simultaneously has the same charge spread out over the shell of charge.

Perhaps the cute mathematical answer is just an ends to a means, and the accumulation of potential energy from the radius decreasing from infinity to r just happens to simplify to a very concise answer. Anybody have any ideas?

1. What is a spherical shell of charge?

A spherical shell of charge is a hypothetical situation in which an electric charge is distributed evenly on the surface of a perfectly spherical object. It is commonly used in physics problems to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of electric fields.

2. How is the electric field inside a spherical shell of charge?

Inside a spherical shell of charge, the electric field is zero. This is because the electric field lines cancel each other out due to the symmetry of the charge distribution. Therefore, there is no net force on a test charge placed inside the shell.

3. What happens to the electric field outside a spherical shell of charge?

Outside a spherical shell of charge, the electric field behaves as if all the charge is concentrated at the center of the sphere. This is known as the Shell Theorem, which states that the electric field outside a spherical shell is the same as that of a point charge located at the center of the sphere.

4. How does the electric field vary with distance from a spherical shell of charge?

The electric field varies inversely with the square of the distance from a spherical shell of charge. This means that as the distance from the shell increases, the electric field strength decreases rapidly.

5. Are electrons distributed in a spherical shell of charge in an atom?

No, electrons are not distributed in a spherical shell of charge within an atom. In an atom, electrons are arranged in specific energy levels around the nucleus, rather than being distributed evenly on the surface. However, the concept of a spherical shell of charge is useful in understanding the behavior of electrons in certain situations, such as in the atomic nucleus.